• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin Mobile Rumored Devices Thread

...I'm thinking of one of the following:
htc one on ting, but need to be able to bring my own which they don't allow yet, only theirs works and it's listed at $536, ouch...

I remember on the Ting help forums they've said Sprint doesn't allow BYOD with the newer high end phones. I'm not sure if there's a set waiting period or it's just whenever Sprint decides to allow each model.

Ting does put some phones on sale though, so keep checking the HTC One price. They also have a referral discount, see my signature below to save some cash.

nexus 5 on (someone). This could be the best option but I REALLY don't want to pay a lot per month so my options are limited here.

Buy it unlocked and you'll have inexpensive prepaid carriers to choose from.

Upvote 0
I remember on the Ting help forums they've said Sprint doesn't allow BYOD with the newer high end phones. I'm not sure if there's a set waiting period or it's just whenever Sprint decides to allow each model.

Ting does put some phones on sale though, so keep checking the HTC One price. They also have a referral discount, see my signature below to save some cash.

Buy it unlocked and you'll have inexpensive prepaid carriers to choose from.

I will be watching from now thru cyber monday. After a lot of reading I'm more and more leaning toward a nexus 5. The winds of change are a blowin, and my time on vm may be done. A lot has changed in the prepaid scene since I first switched from at&t to vm 3 years ago. Now I find that I can get prepaid at&t service for $60, unlimited voice and 2GB 4G LTE which is plenty of data for my needs. Right now I pay $80 for 2 lines on vm, one $35 on wimax (which I almost never use since it sucks my battery so much) and one $45 on LTE. So this would be a $40/month increase to have 2 lines at $60 a piece, but I would jump from one of the worst networks to one of the best. Considering I'm making over $400/month more take home now than I was 3 years ago when I switched, I think it's a good move for me and a good time to do it. Will be nice to have access to a more powerful and widespread network, and have a flagship phone, while still being off contract. And the wife will be happy too! :)

Having said that, if vm or someone else pops my eyes out with a black friday/cyber monday deal, I will take a look. Otherwise I think it's gonna be a nexus 5 on at&t prepaid for me next.

If anyone has feedback on this move please chime in. Other prepaid arrangements that are better? Looks like t-mobile has a similar plan also for $60, but around here (Seattle area) it seems at&t has the better network by a pretty large margin. Not interested in t-mobile's $30 100 minutes plan. Nexus 5 won't work on verizon so that's out. Sprint plans that I saw were higher than $60/month, not sure if I scouted their prepaid or not or if they have one besides vm/boost.

I wonder if ting will allow the nexus 5? That could be an option too.

Upvote 0
I will be watching from now thru cyber monday. After a lot of reading I'm more and more leaning toward a nexus 5. The winds of change are a blowin, and my time on vm may be done. A lot has changed in the prepaid scene since I first switched from at&t to vm 3 years ago. Now I find that I can get prepaid at&t service for $60, unlimited voice and 2GB 4G LTE which is plenty of data for my needs. Right now I pay $80 for 2 lines on vm, one $35 on wimax (which I almost never use since it sucks my battery so much) and one $45 on LTE. So this would be a $40/month increase to have 2 lines at $60 a piece, but I would jump from one of the worst networks to one of the best. Considering I'm making over $400/month more take home now than I was 3 years ago when I switched, I think it's a good move for me and a good time to do it. Will be nice to have access to a more powerful and widespread network, and have a flagship phone, while still being off contract. And the wife will be happy too! :)

Having said that, if vm or someone else pops my eyes out with a black friday/cyber monday deal, I will take a look. Otherwise I think it's gonna be a nexus 5 on at&t prepaid for me next.

If anyone has feedback on this move please chime in. Other prepaid arrangements that are better? Looks like t-mobile has a similar plan also for $60, but around here (Seattle area) it seems at&t has the better network by a pretty large margin. Not interested in t-mobile's $30 100 minutes plan. Nexus 5 won't work on verizon so that's out. Sprint plans that I saw were higher than $60/month, not sure if I scouted their prepaid or not or if they have one besides vm/boost.

I wonder if ting will allow the nexus 5? That could be an option too.

I'd consider Straight Talk, if I were you, though still using a Nexus 5. They have AT&T with LTE and offer unlimited talk, text and data that is throttled after 2.5 GB for $45. So a similar to better plan than Gophone for $15 less per line.

Upvote 0
So how much do you guys think the S3 will be on Black friday/cyber monday?

Seeing as though the official retail price is 399.99$ even though it's been on a so called 50$ off "promotion" for like ages, they can sell it at 299.99$ and claim that it's 100$ off. I'd be blown away if they sold it for 249.99$ and claim 150$ off. I'm planning on returning my S3 from amazon and cash is on any savings since I paid 367$ for mine. I'll wait until BF/CM to buy a phone since I'm also thinking of buying Nexus 5 32GB. Even though the Nexus 5 Blows even the S4 out of the water in terms of performance and having stock Android 4.4 and full Google support for years, it sucks hard that it doesn't have an SD card slot. I currently have 80GBs total on my S3 (16+64) and the Nexus 5 is less than half of that. I'm thinking that some store may even sell an unlocked S4 or an Xperia Z or Z1 or even a Note 2 for cheap that I can use with the T-Mobile 30$ prepaid plan. I'm just fed up with the lack of developer support for our S3. It seems Like every year we lose more and more developers for our VM devices. We had so much support for our HTC Evo 3D and One V, but now we have nothing for the S3, and it's been so long.

Reactions: mrnyjet
Upvote 0
Can't we just use Sprint S3 ROMS?

You can use them, I've used Slim Bean and Carbon for sprint along with a fix that I helped in testing. The problem is that we never figured out how to get 4G and MMS to work together in these ROMs so I'm often having to go back to the stock Touchwiz ROM because I'll have issues connecting to 4G or getting back to 3G even, I've had friends send me pics or other MMS messages and I've never received them. The Forum is now reduced to newbies just asking questions to common problems, the few experienced users we had including myself have not posted in the forums for almost a month. The S3 is a great phone on its own even with the older Touchwiz, it all works good, but if you're like me who likes to try out ROMs and kernels and want greater control then you will be disappointed. After all this time we currently have zero ROMs or kernels that are specifically made for our VM S3s, and sprint ROMs have not been perfect, and of course we can't ask for help or report the bugs because it's not even made for our VM variants.

Who know's if this will improve in the next few months, or if things will be the same when the VM S4 comes out, but when you have an affordable flagship phone even better than the S4 and as good as the 699$ Note 3 or iPhone 5S like the Nexus 5 for 349-399$, It's hard not to notice, and you know that you will have all the Android updates and massive developer support.

Upvote 0
Well I caved, the thought of the nexus 5 is too exciting, I ordered 2 just now. I'd like a bf deal but the phones vm has right now just aren't doing it for me. I suppose I could always cancel/return if I must, but it seems doubtful at this point. The next 3-4 weeks of waiting is gonna be brutal! But does dovetail nicely with the end of my vm month. Time to turn off auto pay!

Upvote 0
Well I caved, the thought of the nexus 5 is too exciting, I ordered 2 just now. I'd like a bf deal but the phones vm has right now just aren't doing it for me. I suppose I could always cancel/return if I must, but it seems doubtful at this point. The next 3-4 weeks of waiting is gonna be brutal! But does dovetail nicely with the end of my vm month. Time to turn off auto pay!

Any idea which carrier you will switch to?

Upvote 0
I do have concerns with straight talk. I keep hearing that they will cut off your data without notice, which I find unacceptable. But, we are not big data fiends so I'm thinking that problem won't be something we will run into. Also, it sounds like their customer service is basically non-existent.

Conversely, it sounds like go phone doesn't offer roaming, but straight talk does? That's unexpected. These plans are so confusing, so it will be very nice to have an unlocked phone that has many provider options. This way I have no issues with trying straight talk - if I don't like it I'll just move on.

Upvote 0
I do have concerns with straight talk. I keep hearing that they will cut off your data without notice, which I find unacceptable. But, we are not big data fiends so I'm thinking that problem won't be something we will run into. Also, it sounds like their customer service is basically non-existent.

Conversely, it sounds like go phone doesn't offer roaming, but straight talk does? That's unexpected. These plans are so confusing, so it will be very nice to have an unlocked phone that has many provider options. This way I have no issues with trying straight talk - if I don't like it I'll just move on.

Straight Talk recently changed policies. Previously, they only claimed to have "unlimited data" and then cut people off for "excessive use" which seemed somewhat arbitrary. They now have a written policy that you get 2.5GB of unthrottled data, and it is throttled after you use 2.5GB and, from everything I've heard, they are honoring the new terms. It appears that they likely changed the Terms of Service because of lawsuits where people had their "unlimited" service cut off.

You are also correct that Straight Talk does have some roaming and Gophone does not have roaming. If you compare the Gophone coverage map and the Straight Talk (AT&T) coverage map, you will see the difference.

And being able to change plans/carriers is one of the huge advantages to having a GSM phone.

Reactions: koopakid08
Upvote 0
Not true! In fact, i can roam in canada with go phone as long as i have funds in my go phone account to cover per minute charges for talk or text. I just use free wifi for data
Your straight talk /att phone is unusable outside the usa,
Unless you use wifi for both web and talk/text via google voice or program like magicjack.

Upvote 0
Odd talking about this on a Droid site, but I'd love to see VM do a WindowsPhone.
I've been using a Nokia 521 on Simple Mobile and I really like the new and seemingly elegant WindowsPhone OS. iPhone and Droid are similar. WP8 is a nice diversion. Basically, the live tiles are micro-widgets, and the entire OS is live tile driven.

Upvote 0
Reactions: swerver32
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones