• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hardware Build #3 Is A Totally Different Handset

I can and will agree with everything Bettermost has said. I tradeded in my V2 for V3 and it is like a totally different phone, no question about it. I still have a slight light leakage, but that never bothered me anyway, it was the screen separation that bothered me.

Mine new V3 is sitting below the bezel and does not move at all, my wifi works fine, and the screen is way nicer looking.

How does that song go..? What a difference a day makes 24 little hours.... :D Yup glad you are happy!

Reactions: Roman G.
Upvote 0
Apparently I have been using version 3 of the hardware and never realized it.

KN8xz.png

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I conducted a thread here a while ago regarding this:
Two versions of Evos {Updated Results} - PPCGeeks

I updated the results I received and it does seem that 0003 is better at the battery door remaining flush as well as better in the screen remaining flush.
I say it is wishful thinking and one is not better enough to warrant an exchange as you can still get stuck with the same issues at it seems to be luck of the draw......

It is the next versions that should hopefully have none of these issues being that we were the guinee pigs for HTC....

Upvote 0
Im inclined to believe that there are differences between 002 and 003, no matter if its just plant location, better speced covers or just better techs assembling. I have what amounts to a flawless, very well built 003 phone. If I had a flawless 002, Id be just as happy but still would rather have a 003, placebo affect or not. I doubt anyone here can be 100% certain what the differences are except for the visible ones, and if had a 002 with problems I def would not easily accept a 002 (refurbed or not) as a replacement.

It was mentioned earlier about the 30 day return replacement vs the 1 year (repair or replace at their discression) warranty, well I've been through the refurb crap after 30 days, trust me you certainly dont want to go there. Bottom line, if you have existing issues, you really want to get them addressed before the 30 day period is up, especially on a phone like this.

Upvote 0
As far as the light leakage, my 003 screen is completely recessed at the bottom, exactly the same recess as at the top and can feel the bezel higher than the screen.

There is no space to vent heat, certainly not designed to have one. If you have such a problem Id get it taken care if because it can only either a- stay the same or b- get worse. If it doesnt bother you because you have a case so be it, but make no mistake it certainly wasnt designed to have a gap.

Upvote 0
launch day HW002, I have a dark charcoal grey velvety back, the batter with no shiny (the difference can be found in the battery thread, the shiny ones are LiPo and the non-shiny are Li-Ion, have fun with that tidbit...) I have a samsung SD, and all the issues listed in my sig. A new thing I noticed on this thread was the discussion of a "loose back cover" I have read over 100 pages of posts on this forum site about the Evo, and I have never heard of such a thing before now, you just got a bad phone buddy, it has nothing to do with the build #. about 1 out of every 1000 smart phone manufactured for any company any where, or so has something wrong with it that may or may not plague another one of the same device.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've posted this on these forums, but I'll wait until days 26-30 before I go and try to get a replacement, I'm hoping for a HW004, but it looks like I won't be getting one anyway, I bought mine from Radio Shack and they are refusing to ship HTC Evo phones into the store, unless you preorder one (yes I know it is already out), this means YOU HAVE TO BUY A $50 GIFT CARD AGAIN, or no new Evos will get shipped to that store.

Upvote 0
So let me get this straight....

Build 1=Major light leakage and screen coming up
Build 2=Minor light leakage but screen intact
Build 3=No light leakage or screen issues

?

That is not the case - I have a Build 3 phone and there is minor light leakage beneath the home and back buttons and I can already tell the bottom left hand corner of the screen may have some issues in the future. Hopefully it holds together well but there are definitely subtle differences in the "flushness" to the body between the bottom left and bottom right hand corners.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones