• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The best minimalist flashlight app

mopages

Intro: The app is a fast minimalist flashlight, starts as soon as you open the app.
The layout is very clean with a big off button and an option for an auto off timer and a switch to screen light option.
The app is great and doesn't have any annoying popups like many others.

A must have from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=led.screen.flashlight

f1v2faCCmoiERTSZYqk5kDJOd8mo-jbVy2eimzaixl0s7iYJHDV-7ua8gTNgM4rcLhs=w720-h310-rw
DK0o8dJrR2WuTBhDKHE3bMPwEbKYMYwn-T2fZNcTaRjsXAeuQIKefwFJyWvnmoMPkg=w720-h310-rw

One without network permissions would be even sweeter...

This app has access to:
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rw
Camera
  • take pictures and videos

Other
  • view network connections
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping

Yeah.. the adds do require the network permissions... It's just that without the adds.. it would be even more minimalist..

(but everyone gets to pick and choose what apps they like)

After searching the play store for hours, I found 'IconTorch' to be the least invasive, smallest, etc for flashlight apps. While zero permissions beyond what is truly required works best, this only has three: control flashlight, take pictures/video, and prevent phone from sleeping. I have its camera permission switched off, so it only has the two needed (check under permissions>show all to see 'control light' and 'prevent sleep').
It was the best one I could find at the time, and its truly minimal at a mere 140Kb (yup, kilobytes folks, not mega!) It requires no widgets, just a simple icon that lights up your world instantly, and has absolutely ZERO ads or annoyances (hence the lack of network permissions).
Give it a shot! I haven't found one with less permissions yet (though surely one or three exist).
>IconTorch on Google play 👍👍

Last edited:
Well this is the most minimal:
Screenshot_20190407-222608.png
I'm semi-serious here. For many years I used TeslaLED, which gave a wide range of features with no permission other than camera (I used the donate version, but even the free one was ad free). But it hasn't been updated for years, and would not work on my Pixel. So I didn't bother replacing it, I just use the built-in torch shortcut.

And that's the challenge for the OP: giving a reason to use their app rather than the one that is built in to most devices and accessible via the notification shade.

Is TeslaLED part of Nova Prime?
It showed up on my V40 after I migrated my apps over. App doesn't do anything, at all, but the widget still functions fine.

No, it's separate from Nova. And I no longer see it in the Play Store, even if I search without logging in (so it's not filtering out apps that are incompatible with my phone), whether I search by app or developer. You can still download the apk from his website, but I only see the free version.

I suspect it was a quirk of the migration process - had you installed it previously?

Yep, but when I clicked on the link in the post from Game Theory, it took me directly to the play store.

My app info also shows that it was installed via the Play Store.

I've seen that TeslaCoil only lists Nova/Nova Prime, also.

Funny, when I click on GameTheory's link it takes me to the TeslaCoil webpage. And when I click on the "Android Market" link on that page it returns a 404. Same whether I use phone or laptop.

Have you previously installed it from the Play Store on your current phone? Just trying to guess why the links might behave differently.

The funny thing about the app is that it almost works on the Pixel. The strobe, SOS and "light up while you press the button" pages work, but the toggle on/off and "on for a preset time" pages do not.

Last edited:
Yep, but when I clicked on the link in the post from Game Theory, it took me directly to the play store.

My app info also shows that it was installed via the Play Store.

I've seen that TeslaCoil only lists Nova/Nova Prime, also.
Funny, when I click on GameTheory's link it takes me to the TeslaCoil webpage. And when I click on the "Android Market" link on that page it returns a 404. Same whether I use phone or laptop.

Have you previously installed it from the Play Store on your current phone? Just trying to guess why the links might behave differently.

The funny thing about the app is that it almost works on the Pixel. The strobe, SOS and "light up while you press the button" pages work, but the toggle on/off and "on for a preset time" pages do not.
I've see similar results for paid apps I purchased that are no longer available in Play. Weatherbug Elite comes to mind. If I click a link to it from an incognito window I get the "not in play" message, where if I click on it from a regular chrome window (where I'm signed into my google account) I go right to the app. I wonder if it is a way to allow devs to no longer sell an app but continue to support customers.

IDK, folks, I'm just a basic user with absolutely no technical background.

I checked the play store and couldn't find it either. But, the APK is still downloadable from the webpage.

I've only used it for the flashlight function. Added it years back to replace one of the "Bad" ones.

Back
Top Bottom