• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding choices of what to open a with

attroll

I created a html shortcut on my phones home screen.
When I pick it from my home screen it ask me what I want to open it with and gives me a bunch of choices.
I want to open it with Chrome but that is not one of the choices.
How can I get Chrome to show up as one of my choices to open it with?

The way the choices work in Android is that when you click on something that creates an "intent", and if no default app has been defined for handling intents of that sort you are offered a list of all apps that have declared themselves to be able to handle that type of intent. So if Chrome isn't listed it means that the intent doesn't match what Chrome has said it can do.

You can't tell it "open with an app that's not declared itself able to handle this". If it's offering a list them the problem isn't that a default has been set. So your only option I can see is to change the shortcut into something that Chrome is willing to handle.

Can you open the target manually in Chrome and then get it to create a shortcut on your desktop?

(I can't investigate as I don't use Chrome).

Is the HTML shortcut a website, or link to an online location? If so, have you tried saving the entire URL and seeing if Chrome is an option?

Back
Top Bottom