• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Please Help: How to move SIM card from old phone to new phone?

Hi all,

These are the specs of my old phone and as you can see it uses a "Mini-SIM" Card

I need to buy a new phone and all of the new phones use a "Nano-SIM" card.

How can I take my old SIM card to the new phone without destroying the SIM card? Is it possible for the data on the old phone's SIM card to be kept intact?

I know e-SIM cards are available but that may not be an option for me. 😢 😢 😢

Thanks for any help!!!

Any SIM card available for consumer use is going to be one of those standardized sizes, that;'s an established practice. No phone manufacturer is going to make a phone that only works with an odd-ball, out-of-spec SIM card. That would be huge mistake strategically and financially given the phone wouldn't be able to work with any cellular carrier. Getting a SIM card for your phone shouldn't involve any kind of hassle. Most people just tell their carrier what they need and they get the appropriate card, a simple transaction.

I think you should just take your SIM card into your carrier to be cut. I had never heard of a Mini SIM card before. Unless you can find a SIM cutter for a Mini SIM card. The Mini SIM card is a total curveball to me.
I did some more research and Mini-SIM cards are described here:

Any SIM card available for consumer use is going to be one of those standardized sizes, that;'s an established practice. No phone manufacturer is going to make a phone that only works with an odd-ball, out-of-spec SIM card. That would be huge mistake strategically and financially given the phone wouldn't be able to work with any cellular carrier. Getting a SIM card for your phone shouldn't involve any kind of hassle. Most people just tell their carrier what they need and they get the appropriate card, a simple transaction.
Thanks!

I thought I'd try to use a SIM card cutter so I'd be able to save at least a little bit of my phones data that's on the mini-SIM card.

Your carrier charges different rates based on SIM card size? That's very odd and not a very good business practice.
I'd strongly suggest you find a different carrier, in the long run you'll save money and get better service. If your currently chosen carrier is doing money-grabbing stunts like this it's also most likely over-charging you on other basic services.
Please post your current carrier's pricing page.

Your carrier charges different rates based on SIM card size? That's very odd and not a very good business practice.
I'd strongly suggest you find a different carrier, in the long run you'll save money and get better service. If your currently chosen carrier is doing money-grabbing stunts like this it's also most likely over-charging you on other basic services.
Thanks!

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply that my network carrier charges different rates based on SIM card size.

I just thought I could use a SIM card cutter so I could re-use the same SIM card but at the nano SIM card size so it can fit into the new phone.

I'm still struggling with my sim card size of: "Single SIM (Mini-SIM) or Dual SIM (Mini-SIM, dual stand-by)"

Here are the specs of the phone in case I'm reading the sim card incorrectly:

I just wish I could find an answer... 😢😢😢

I'm still struggling with my sim card size of: "Single SIM (Mini-SIM) or Dual SIM (Mini-SIM, dual stand-by)"

Here are the specs of the phone in case I'm reading the sim card incorrectly:

I just wish I could find an answer... 😢😢😢
I just came upon a SIM cutter device I'd bought about a decade ago when I bought a second-hand phone from Gazelle, and had to trip my SIM card to fit the "Micro-SIM" size. After nearly screwing the pooch, I got it to fit but it was wonky and finally I walked into a Verizon store where the agent happily gave me a properly fit Micro-SIM at no charge, since I wasn't planning to switch carriers.

Try reading this page for description of the myriad SIM sizes. Judging from the age of your phone model - discontinued in 2013, and the term Mini-SIM, your phone uses the old style "Standard" SIM card which telco carriers should be able to supply, although nearly everyone has moved their inventory to the ubiquitous "nano-SIM" which has the smallest border around the chip circuit contacts.

So my 2-cents is to not try cutting or trimming a SIM card to force a fit, just go to your carrier and tell them you need a proper SIM for your account, which you are going to maintain a subscription, and they will gladly send you a proper card that is programmed with your account information.

Back
Top Bottom