• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some denominations take a literal interpretation... but not many, and certainly not Catholic. Go read up on your Catholic theology.
THen why do they say the Pope is the conduit to god. To heed the teachings of god thats in the bible. Why would they follow a bible if they say it was a man who made up everything in it and wasnt gods word?

Hmm... I should tell my devout Catholic friend that because she annoys the hell out of me when she uses the Bible as defense for any controversial discussion on Facebook and keeps saying that it's "the word of God", God said this... said that..., and so forth. You've enlightened me. Thank you!

Crude... I don't think you understand my point. I am not talking about anything in the context that it's in. I am talking about how taking single phrases out of a text and using them as examples is not the best thing to do as it can be done with the Bible but you and I both know that it the entire context, it's not the same. I'm not trying to convince you of anything other than it's easy to take things out of context. It's basically the same thing that media and politicians do to each other.

I still don't understand why people use :rolleyes:

And you don't understand my point, Islam is not a religion of peace. I don't need the koran to tell me anything about the religion the fact that there are so many stories of violence between muslims and against others is all I need. The evidence speaks for itself.

Oh and the :rolleyes:, well you started that and it had such an effect I keep using it.

And you don't understand my point, Islam is not a religion of peace. I don't need the koran to tell me anything about the religion the fact that there are so many stories of violence between muslims and against others is all I need. The evidence speaks for itself.

Oh and the :rolleyes:, well you started that and it had such an effect I keep using it.

please Crude, keep it to SF

THen why do they say the Pope is the conduit to god. To heed the teachings of god thats in the bible. Why would they follow a bible if they say it was a man who made up everything in it and wasnt gods word?

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other.

The Catholic church believes the bible is the "word of god." but that word was given to mine through inspiration, not a word for word translation.

The Catholic church believes the source of what God wants, isn't so much the words in the bible, but the interpretation the Catholic church has drawn out of those inspired words through thousands of years of study and thought.

The reform religions, broke away from this (and many other things.) They think the source of what God wants is the words of the bible, but they then reinterpret it their own way. They don't think you need the councils and philosophers and all that to extract meaning from the bible. They rejected the authority of the Catholic Chrurch's interpretation , and many denominations have constructed their own, and some do take a more literal interpretation that others.

But yes under Catholic theology, the church and pope is the authority on what God wants, and the bible is a tool they use to extract God's demands and pass them on to man.

Thats one of the key differences, in Catholicism, the Church is the conduit between man and God, man can't just pick up a bible and understand God, or just start praying and talk directly to God... so says the Catholic church.

The reform religions break down these barriers and open a more personal connection to God. With it comes the idea anyone can understand the bible, which creates many differing interpretations, some more literal than others.

A religion is nothing more than what its adherents think and do. There is nothing intrinsic in Islam to make it a religion of peace or violence. The reason why so many Muslims are waging a war against the modern world isn't the text their reading, but the situation their in. And that is the destruction of their traditional way of life by the modern world.

And you don't understand my point, Islam is not a religion of peace.

We understand your point. You aren't paying attention to the double standard you apply to Islam compared to Christianity.

I don't need the koran to tell me anything about the religion the fact that there are so many stories of violence between muslims and against others is all I need. The evidence speaks for itself.

So, by your standard, Christianity is not a religion of peace? Because of all the violence between Christians and others?

We understand your point. You aren't paying attention to the double standard you apply to Islam compared to Christianity.

So, by your standard, Christianity is not a religion of peace? Because of all the violence between Christians and others?

Fine, I'll bite:rolleyes:

What violence is being perpetrated by Christians in the name of religion in the last 30 years?

I do not like the word games you play. If this degenerated into opinion like is has been then this will be our final "discussion".

Fine, I'll bite:rolleyes:

What violence is being perpetrated by Christians in the name of religion in the last 30 years?

Northern Ireland. Radicalization of Christianity, on both sides of that Conflict.

I do not like the word games you play.

I don't play word games, but I do take you at your word when you say something. If the things you say conflict, I will respond to that. If you misspeak, then clarify.

If this degenerated into opinion like is has been then this will be our final "discussion".

Your welcome to make this our "final discussion", especially if you can't respond when your statements are questioned.

northern ireland is a civil war. It's a civil war because the violence is coming from both sides and it's a very localized war. It just happens that the parties involved are of different religious persuasions.

northern ireland is a civil war. It's a civil war because the violence is coming from both sides and it's a very localized war. It just happens that the parties involved are of different religious persuasions.

A civil war? While that's not even remotely accurate, I didn't realize a Civil War included bombing hotels in other countries.

Even after you edited your post you leave it there. The psychology here is obvious. This is about getting under my skin and not proving anything. I quit, not because of any "facts" but because it's was becoming obvious this was about me and not what I said. I mean how are you going to prove that Islam is a religion of peace by pointing out that Northern Ireland is just as violent?

Even after you edited your post you leave it there. The psychology here is obvious. This is about getting under my skin and not proving anything. I quit, not because of any "facts" but because it's was becoming obvious this was about me and not what I said. I mean how are you going to prove that Islam is a religion of peace by pointing out that Northern Ireland is just as violent?

I left it there because I said it. I stooped that low to make that comment. I edited to admit it as stupid and immature.

If you want it removed... then I will do so.

I quit, not because of any "facts" but because it's was becoming obvious this was about me and not what I said.

And yet... you haven't been able to respond to the "facts".

You've called the Northern Ireland Conflict a "civil war". Even though IRA carried out terrorists attacks on other countries.

Even though, no respectable person I've ever heard has called it a Civil War.

What happened in NI was Catholics in the Republic terrifying them with all sorts of crazy Catholic laws (contraception, censorship, church having massive influence)
the Unionists overreacted, and out of fear suppressed Catholics
After the civil rights marched, the provisional IRA came to be, leading to Unionist terrorist groups being formed too

Back
Top Bottom