• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

32GB OEM SD cards

Let me put it this way. With the amount of read/writes some of us do, these things WILL fail. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. I purchased 2x32GB official sandisk cards from their website on Black Friday. They came with a 5-year warranty. My first one failed about 2 months ago and I got a no questions asked RMA.

That warranty is worth its weight in gold. If you get one of these cards to last more than 2 years with even casual use, consider yourself lucky. I'd NEVER buy a no-name or a knock-off.

Upvote 0
to me personally, data storage is very important, all my information on my pc, camera, phones are very important. and i think oem will and more likely to fail that reputable brands.

OEM = original equipment manufacturer. OEM is the baseline in quality, and in many cases, exceeds the quality of 3rd party or after market products.

Upvote 0
Then read the threads on people who ended up with such SD cards. FYI OEM does not mean "Chinese".

As always, stick with reputable brands and reputable resellers.
I know what OEM stands for, its just the SD cards I can order from Hong Kong are manufactured in China and dont have any brand associated with them.

The reason I started this thread is because I havent been able to find many posts about people complaining about OEM cards at all. Ive found some complains about fake Sandisk and Kingston being sold on Ebay but thats basically it.

Sandisk invented those cards years ago and by now it is old technology and other manufacturers should have the skills and experience to make those better than in the beginning when Sandisk had the edge but shouldnt the quality gap be less now than 2 years ago? Why should SD OEM be that much worse than any other OEM hardware? Has it become a semi religion which type of memory card people prefer?

Upvote 0
Stick with Kingston and Sandisk. Mine are running flawless and you can tell the difference. Both Kingston and Sandisk test the product to make sure it actually runs at the class speed its supposed to while knockoffs have been known to run incredibly slow despite the class label. Software exists to test this but its just a known fact. Dont cause yourself more heartache than you need.

Upvote 0
I know what OEM stands for, its just the SD cards I can order from Hong Kong are manufactured in China and dont have any brand associated with them.

The reason I started this thread is because I havent been able to find many posts about people complaining about OEM cards at all. Ive found some complains about fake Sandisk and Kingston being sold on Ebay but thats basically it.

Sandisk invented those cards years ago and by now it is old technology and other manufacturers should have the skills and experience to make those better than in the beginning when Sandisk had the edge but shouldnt the quality gap be less now than 2 years ago? Why should SD OEM be that much worse than any other OEM hardware? Has it become a semi religion which type of memory card people prefer?

Oh there is plenty of fake OEM or no-name cards as well, always offered at what is seemingly very low prices in places like HK as well as mainland China. Would you trust your valuable data to a fake chip? There are reputable places in HK offering real SD cards, e.g. Broadway, but one will often be paying the reputable prices as well.

Reactions: Waldy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones