• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g in Jacksonville

while waiting for my phone to activate at BB, I asked the guy about Orlando's 4G. He said while it is impossible to get any data, he was able to connect to a 4G tower in south downtown. He also said they they plan on having the full I-4 corridor(Orlando, Jacksonville, Daytona, Tampa) live by the end of August. I'm hoping he's right, I really looking forward to taking advantage of the higher speeds. If only it was done by next week for the World Cup.

Upvote 0
I live on the Westside also, not far from the Base, I live closer to Cecil Field though. But from what Radioshack employees told me, there is Wimax in OP mall, along with the repeater in their store. This was a Radioshack on 103rd near Walmart. It goes all the way to my house. which is about along Firestone, near the Wilson exit. and I get it right in my room. It's pretty awesome. from what I understand Phase 1 of deploying Wimax in Jacksonville, also the rest of Florida that was mentioned, will end in July. Then gradually, Phase 2 & 3 will start, which optimizes the network.

PS. my 3G is pretty fast alone. I only use 4G to watch videos.

Upvote 0
I live in Orlando, and when I arrived at Radio Shack to get my EVO at 5:45am. There was one of the girl associates talking to another guy waiting for the EVO (we were all waiting for the manager to arrive), and they said 4G in Orlando is "by November/December"

I was so surprised, and I asked them "wait a minute, I've read that Orlando is getting 4G in the summer....NOT NOVEMBER!"

But that's the info they had. "November, December at the latest".

Upvote 0
A buddy got the Evo day 1 and I was able to mess with it up at the Guard Base by the Airport. He had 1 bar of 4G there. I was at OP Mall yesterday showing the wife the Evo at the Sprint kiosk by the Food Court and they had 2 bars of 4G. From what Ive heard its in beta testing now so its going to be hit or miss until release sometime between now and Sept. Hopefully the get most of greater Jax. Should be interesting seeing as how Jax is the largest city in the contiguous US.

Upvote 0
I had posted this in another Forum a couple days ago:

I dropped by my nearby Corp Sprint store this afternoon to play with the EVO. I am in Jacksonville Fl and will be receiving mine mid next week if not on Monday. As I was playing with the phone, which is amazing by the way, I noticed that the 4G icon was showing instead of 3G. I also noticed that the internet was damn near instantaneous loading even larger sites in absolutely no time. I pondered why it was showing 4G when to the best of my knowledge and according to the most updated 4G maps I have seen, Jacksonville is not a 4G city. I called over a Sprint Rep and asked whether 4G was in Jacksonville. He mentioned something along the lines of yes because the 4G towers are already in place but they just need to officially complete.....
I was just curious as to how many other cities not officially cited as having 4G might actually pick up the signal similar to Jville. Anyone know anything about this?
headbang.gif

Upvote 0
I received 4G service at 9A and North Main Street (Oceanway) but dropped as I hit 95S.

I picked up 4G again around Gateway at 95S and dropped it again within minutes.

Surprisingly, I could not get 4G going through downtown.

I work across the street from the School board building and am 300 yards from 95 just after the Fuller Warren heading S and I get full 4G access.

Now for the bad.....the 4G service offers no benefit at this time. I completed 5 tests within 15 minutes:

1) 4G and Mobile Network On - 1.56Mb/s .43 up
2) Mobile Network Off 4G On - 2.3Mb/s .46 up
3) 4G Off Mobile Network On - 2.6Mb/s .34 up
4) 4G and Mobile Network On - 2.02Mb/s .Error up
4) 4G and Mobile Network On - 1.5Mb/s .23 up

I had 4 months left on an AT&T/iPhone contract so cancelling it will cost me about $85. I live close to Black Hammock Island which is a weak zone; however, my iPhone picked up at least the Edge network there. I have no signal with EVO and Sprint. I have home phone service though. Do I keep the Sprint and EVO and hope the 4G is still not ready in spite of the EVO indicating full 4G is available or return it, keep the iPhone, and hope for better AT&T Androids soon? BTW, my iPhone's wifi crapped out 6 months ago so there is no chance I get another iPhone. Plus, I despise Apple's recent approach of restrictions.

The EVO is absolutely outstanding BTW:)

Upvote 0
Can anybody confirm if 4g is available in Jax yet. I've heard multiple reports that it was. Also anybody in Orlando getting 4g.
I've had my phone for 3 weeks and driven throughout Jacksonville and there are working 4G areas. Orange Park is so far the best working area for me. Also I work on Southside Blvd ( Deerwood)and 4G is working in most of the area.
Then there is Blanding from the Kingsley (Orange Park) to just about Solid Gold (club) on Blanding (Jacksonville) that is working. 4G is working in a lot of areas but patchy.
This indicates that we may be real close for FULL 4G in Jax soon.

Upvote 0
Im in JAX as well, according to a report on first coast news and the sprint store where I got the phone, they both said August 1st isthe date we get it.

Edit/PS: Im in Mandarin side of JAX for a point of reference and work at Baymeadows/95 (didnt see 4g there either).

There are places in J'ville, O.P., and Mandarin where you can get 4G, but it not "official". I was out at Jacksonville Beach and Atlantic Beach and got great 4G. I have been to a few places in O.P. where I can get it, and a few places on Westside. It is NOT widespread and according to the Sprint Store / Repair Center it is only up for testing purposes and not going to be available until beginning to mid-August.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones