• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 5.1 update problem, OTA and sideload

pplante19

Lurker
Hi everyone. I'm not that good with all this but today I received a notification on my Nexus 10 for update 5.1. I tried to apply it and it failed, I ended up with an Android logo on the back, an exclamation mark and a 'No command' prompt.

My device is unlocked and rooted, so then I used SuperSU to make a 'Full Unroot' and tried again, same message. I checked before and after with 'Root Checker' and I was rooted, after the 'Full unroot' I was indeed unrooted.

Then I tried again with OTA while not being rooted and it seemed to work, it started to 'update' in a way and then bam, Android on the back but this time, it was saying 'Error!'. So I can't get OTA updates anymore I guess.

Then I tried Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.4, like I did when I rooted. I tried 'Sideload Update' and followed the instructions. Everything seemed fine up until I got this error message ;

Verifying current system...
"/system/bin/install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

I downloaded the update file twice since maybe the file was corrupted from the download. I followed all guidelines, but nothing works either way. Someone has a solution?

I also have my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 to apply, I hope I don't get errors like theses. I rooted the same way for my 3 devices...

Thanks a lot!

Just to let you know everyone that I've managed to bypass all this without have to wipe out my device, it all kept my files, settings, apps, etc.

I used the Nexus Root Toolkit 2.04 and click on 'Flash Stock + Unroot' under the 'Restore/Upgrade/Downgrade'. Then I selected properly my device on the drop-down list (make sure you select the exact same matching model) and under 'Settings' I checked 'No wipe mode' which won't actually wipe your device and I also check 'Force Flash Mode' to bypass errors, and that's why you have to make sure you have the right device, because if you have selected the wrong one, there's no check here, it will fail.

This tool, NRT 2.04, is absolutely awesome, it does pretty much everything and it is all automated, awesome work there, thanks to WugFresh for this.

Just made an account here to say a HUGE THANK YOU pplante19!!!
I had exactly the same problem and was stuck for hours. Found your post, did exactly the same thing, and update is now underway! Thanks again, buddy!

Just to let you know everyone that I've managed to bypass all this without have to wipe out my device, it all kept my files, settings, apps, etc.

I used the Nexus Root Toolkit 2.04 and click on 'Flash Stock + Unroot' under the 'Restore/Upgrade/Downgrade'. Then I selected properly my device on the drop-down list (make sure you select the exact same matching model) and under 'Settings' I checked 'No wipe mode' which won't actually wipe your device and I also check 'Force Flash Mode' to bypass errors, and that's why you have to make sure you have the right device, because if you have selected the wrong one, there's no check here, it will fail.

This tool, NRT 2.04, is absolutely awesome, it does pretty much everything and it is all automated, awesome work there, thanks to WugFresh for this.
Thanks for posting Pplante19. This was a lifesaver! I was up for hours last night trying to figure out how to get update 5.1.1 uploaded to my Nexus 5 since I was getting the same install-recovery.SH. I was attempting to do everything manually with no success. I read your post, got the Nexus Root Toolkit 2.05 (updated) and the software did everything automatically after I put in which phone model, SW version, etc. As you stated might be the case, I didn't even have to wipe the device. Now I'm checking out the other options that the software has! Thanks again!

man you are amazing..thanks for enlightening

Back
Top Bottom