• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

64.95$ Global Unlimited data plan gone

carrot

Feb 1, 2010
GA
To my surprise, I tried to change my plan to go to Canada and Verizon told me they don't have the global unlimited data plan anymore!

But they have options! I told them they aren't options...

75MB = 30$ "additional"
200MB = 100$ "additional"

Maybe there is an error, but the additional (after the allowance) is 0.005$ per KB instead of 0.002KB. Anyway, the 100$ plan doesn't make any sense over the 30$ one.

Since we can't control which data is being sent over the network with Android, it makes it pretty much useless to have a plan. So I switched to Blackberry to go to Canada since it doesn't use as much data.

Anyway, I'm a bit pissed that Verizon changed that without notification.

Are you planning to do business in Canada with Verizon? You better know about this if you used to change your rate plan!

Guess it depends on the phone but on my Droid X, Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery...You can choose to turn off data roaming or even data all together.

That way you won't use data at all.

Yes, but the point is to be able to receive e-mail without getting other data being used. I know just leaving my phone on the side table gets about 10MB of data being transmitted over night sometimes.

Market, apps that pops up in the task killer means they are "starting" in the background and doing something.

We need a "zone alarm" or similar which would then only allow certain application to be able to transfer data.

Upvote 0
Yes, but the point is to be able to receive e-mail without getting other data being used. I know just leaving my phone on the side table gets about 10MB of data being transmitted over night sometimes.

Market, apps that pops up in the task killer means they are "starting" in the background and doing something.

We need a "zone alarm" or similar which would then only allow certain application to be able to transfer data.

Im pretty sure there are root apps that can change individual apps data access.

Upvote 0
The Global Unlimited data plan went away back in January due to data rate agreements between Big Red and other international carriers expiring. In fact, if you look at the details for those plans, you'll see they're only good for Canada & Mexico. There's another set for the Caribbean and Europe. Everywhere else, it's 20.48/mb. aka $0.02/kb. These rates will change as new agreements are formed.

Also, any Android or Blackberry device has the option to not use data when roaming.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones