• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Accidentally" installed 2.3.5, now unrooted

So, I inadvertently installed 2.3.5 on my rooted x2. I had intended to flash to Eclipse, but life got busy, never got around to it. Then I accidentally hit the wrong button and installed the 2.3.5 that was sitting on my sd, waiting for me to get around to the preceding steps. No issues running 2.3.5.

I finally decided I wasn't getting around to flashing a new rom, and I'd just delete some bloatware and call it a day. But now it seems I'm not rooted - and when I tried running Pete's 1-click root, it won't work and says it may be the version I'm running is to blame. I'm no great techie, and I haven't been following the forums lately, so I'm a little lost.

I guess what I need to do is roll back to 2.3.4, but I'm not really clear on how I do that... Unless there's a way to root in 2.3.5? A simple fix would be best. I might even be willing to factory reset if I can save my settings from a few programs first.. Halp?

I would try this guide found here on XDA-Developers to unroot.

As far as going back to 2.3.4 you will have to perform what's called an SBF and instructions to do so can be found here. You will lose your data but it's the only way to go back.

Good luck!

Thanks, that's the info i needed. Should I try to root from 2.3.5 first so i can do a titanium backup, or should i just say farewell to my data? I mean, I can probably export a lot of it manually, but i'm sure to miss something..

I would try to root first, not only to try to save your data but to see if it works in case it happens again. One thing about Titanium Backup is that while the apps may backup the settings may not always carry over properly so don't be completely surprised if you see an issue or two upon restore. I stopped using it and opted to use an application backup program called App Backup and Restore instead. I don't really need my user data. Then I use Google for contacts.

coolpoete, you saved my life... i kinda had the same problem. in my case, i got sick of the droid x2 so verizon sent me the droid incredible 2. my droid x2 was rooted and it had the latest software. i tried using pete's motorola tools to unroot but i forgot that it had to be 2.3.4 or lower. i freaked cuz there was no way i was going to send them a rooted phone. using the guide you gave us, im back to 2.3.4 unrooted and then updated to 2.3.5 unrooted, and now i can send it to them with no problems! :-)

just to be clear, for 2.3.5, you need zergRush to root
then just install eclipse 2.1

edit: and there is a good sticky- Droid X2: All Things Root Guide
to read

And, when you root, you do it in 2.3.4 AND do NOT use Zergrush root. It will break the ota update as it moves system files around. Instead, use Pete's one click root tools under 2.3.4. Then do the following:

1. Install voodoo rootkeeper
2. Backup root
3. Temporarily unroot
4. Reboot into stock recovery
5. Apply ota update
6. Reboot and reapply root
7. Delete root backup

At this point, you are rooted and ready to stay as you are or flash Eclipse 2.2. :D

Back