• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Adding custom notification sounds?

I have an LG Optimus Zip phone with Verizon/SmartTalk and I've been trying to figure out how to add custom notification sounds (for texts, email notifications, etc) to the phone.
I tried creating a folder called Media on the sd card and then a new subfolder named Audio.
Under the Audio folder, I created two more new folders named Notifications and Ringtones.
I downloaded a trial mp3 (NewTextMsg.mp3) to the Notification folder but
when I go to Settings>Sound and chose the Notification Ringtone option, I don't see the new custom ringtone listed among all the stock ones.

Has anyone been able to do this without installing another app to do it? :confused:

Welcome to the forums!
In newer Android versions the audio files have to be stored not in /sdcard/media/Audio folder, but directly in /sdcard/Notifications folder. If this doesn't help, try to eject and insert memory card (this should trigger media rescan).

kejlyCZ - I deleted the Media/Audio/Notifications folders and then created a Notifications folder on the sd card with NewTextMsg.mp3 in the new Notifications folder.
Unfortunately I still don't see NewTextMsg on the list of available ringtones.
I also created a Ringtones folder and copied NewTextMsg.mp3 to that folder - no joy :( I turned the phone off and back on after making the folder changes.
Thanks for responding but I still can't get it to work.
I assume (usually a bad idea) that the name of the mp3 file is what will show up on the list of available ringtones.

kejlyCZ- My bad. What you said worked.
What I did wrong was not unplugging the USB cable before I checked the phone.
I noticed when the USB cable is unplugged from the PC/phone
that the phone says "preparing the SD card."

Thanks for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom