• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding ringtones to system. Is it possible?

krstofer

hey guys,

I downloaded hello aim and I wanted to use my own notification sounds.

I downloaded OI File manager and converted some .wav's to .ogg. I tried to copy them to the system\media\notifications folder but got a message saying file could not be moved.

Is it possible to add files to the system so they can be used an any application?

Thanks!

Download Ringroid..one of the best apps out there for making your own tones from tunes.

I have created quite a few custom tones with this app.

Read the manual (novel idea I know).

If you make a directory on your SD card called "ringtones" anything in that directory will show up as an optional ringtone. Also works with a directory called "notifications" (shows up as a notification option). If you place these outside of the "Music" directory they will not be scanned into your music library.

thanks, but I've already done that and it doesn't work. It might be the app itself that only reads the system souds or the sounds in the specific notifications folder in the system directory.

So back to my original question, is there a way I can put the files in the system directory? i read something about root access, is that what I need?

@krstofer - ERamseth is right. I just loaded up HelloAIM to check....you can't use ringroid to add notification sounds. So just download that app, go to your regular notifications create a few using ringroid and then go back to HelloAIM and you can use them. I see quite a few custom ones in my notification sounds options in HelloAIM that previously made.

There's nothing to download to make this work. Steps:

1. You plug your G1 into your computer with a USB cable.
2. On the G1 you will get a notification about USB connected. Click it and click "Mount". Now your G1 (or more accurately the MicroSD/HC card in your G1) will show up as a removable drive in the same way a USB thumb drive would.
3. Make a directory there called "ringtones" and a directory there called "notifications".
4. Place MP3/OGG (and possibly MIDI) files in to the appropriate directory. For example if you want to use something called "Bell.ogg" as a ringtone, put it in the "ringtones" directory. If you want to use "Bell.ogg" as a notification sound, put it in the "notifications" directory.
5. Just to be certain, restart your phone in order for Android to recognize the new tones (not sure if this is necessary).

There's nothing to download to make this work. Steps:

1. You plug your G1 into your computer with a USB cable.
2. On the G1 you will get a notification about USB connected. Click it and click "Mount". Now your G1 (or more accurately the MicroSD/HC card in your G1) will show up as a removable drive in the same way a USB thumb drive would.
3. Make a directory there called "ringtones" and a directory there called "notifications".
4. Place MP3/OGG (and possibly MIDI) files in to the appropriate directory. For example if you want to use something called "Bell.ogg" as a ringtone, put it in the "ringtones" directory. If you want to use "Bell.ogg" as a notification sound, put it in the "notifications" directory.
5. Just to be certain, restart your phone in order for Android to recognize the new tones (not sure if this is necessary).

I like Ringroid because it makes editing the tunes on my phone easy and I can cut down a notification from a full song to just a snippet. But your method works as well.

Back
Top Bottom