• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Advice RE: moving apps out of internal and formatting of external SD card

DewLoop

Dec 22, 2014
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I thought this topic was relevant as much to the Android OS on the as as it was to my particular phone.

My internal SD card is getting a little cramped so I bought a larger microSD card to relieve the crowding. I figure to move some apps and such to the external card, plus I want to do another Nandroid backup with the phone fully configured, but there's not nearly enough room available to write the image to, so I also hope to link the internal folder to the external SD card for Nandroid backups. Which raises some questions.

I'm thinking the new SD card will have to be formatted (at least partially) in something other than FAT32 to do all this because FAT32 AFAIK doesn't support any sort of linking. And also AFAIK, what I'm looking to do can't be done without the use of links.

So question #1 is, am I right that what I want can't be accomplished without changing the default formatting?

#2 what are Android's formatting rules/limitations? Can the external SD card be formatted entirely in Ext3? I'm a Linux desktop user, so formatting the entire card in EXT3 isn't out of the question (because the phone pops up in a file explorer window when I connect to a Linux PC by USB, just like in Windoze) , but the fact the card by default comes formatted in FAT32 gives me to wonder if some of those files stored externally by the system aren't required to be stored on FAT32.

#3 If I'm going to need need multiple partitions for multiple formats, which partition/format should come first?

#4 This is probably a rather naive question, but I'm going to ask anyway. AirDroid/AirMirror doesn't have any "translation" built in to it, does it? In other words, if I format the entire SD card in Ext3, then I no longer will be able to read its contents with AirMirror from a Windoze PC. Or will I?

My basic feeling about trying to move installed programs is like the boy scout's rule about trying to move a burning campfire. Don't do it, leave it be and build another one where you should have built the first one.

So #5, isn't it "messy" to move installed apps? Might not it make them flaky, unstable? Wouldn't it be a better practice to do a factory reset and install all the programs anew, installing the big hitters to the SD card right from jump street?

My phone is an LG Optimus Fuel/KitKat. It is unlocked, the external SD card has been write-enabled, and I have the Android SDK installed on my Windoze PC.

Comments and suggestions, hoots and jeers are welcome.

1. You must format the card in ext3 or ext4. I'd pass on ext2. Format the entire card or partitions, maybe 1/2 ext3 and 1/2 FAT32.

2. See above.

3. Doesn't really matter what order they are in.

4. You can read Linux filesystems in Windows but Windows is too stupid to do it without help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/

5. It's preferable to install apps 'straight up' as intended. But putting them on the SD, done right with a good card, shouldn't make them unstable. Maybe a little slower, depending on the app.

Keep in mind that entire apps cannot be moved to SD. For apps to function part of them must be installed in the system partition in internal memory. Sometimes none of an app can be moved. How much, if any, varies.

Upvote 0
I cant answer any of your questions sorry but can I ask what's stopping you from making a nandroid backup directly to the sd?
Because TWRP Manager does not offer that option.

Crashdamage, thank you for the reply. I had forgotten Windoze can be trained to read Ext. My plan always was to go with Ext3 (a little journaling goes a long way).

What about the files that KitKat already has written to the SD card? I presume they should be left on the FAT32 partition.

10-4 on the limitations of installing to the external card. My internal card is getting seriously crowded, and I've only been an Android user for five whole weeks, which means I'm still finding/installing new apps I think I have to have, so something's got to give. And a little relief is better than none.

I've seen several threads on YouTube all claiming to be the one correct way to install to the SD card. You seem to be up to speed on the topic. Is there a particular method you would recommend?

Upvote 0
What phone and version of TWRP are you using?

Unless you have some very odd TWRP port, TWRP supports nandroid to sd card on every phone that has one.

It may not be obvious, as the button showing the destination - where you set the backup name - looks like a label.

But on normal TWRP, it's a button, touch to select internal or external sd (words vary by version).

Can vary in place and placement, depending on version.

Upvote 0
You should copy existing files on the SD somewhere for backup and transfer them back after formatting and partitioning. Don't forget hidden files!

Dunno about being 'up to speed' about this. I haven't done it - or needed to - for a loooong time. Maybe someone with recent experience will chime in on this thread. But I'll help with questions I feel confident answering.

Google is always your friend. There should be plenty of info pop up with a simple search. I personally much prefer written material over YouTube tutorials.

Upvote 0
I'm using TWRP v7.4.5 on an LG Optimus Fuel (kitkat, 1.8gb internal SD). The app bears this note under 'Classic Backup':
Due to a recent change in TWRP recovery we are unable to specify a target storage device. I.E. External or USB-OTG. You will only be able to back up to internal storage from this app.

To make certain, I rebooted into recovery to look at the interface there. If the destination is configurable, they've been devilishly clever in hiding the setting.

You should copy existing files on the SD somewhere for backup and transfer them back after formatting and partitioning. Don't forget hidden files!

Dunno about being 'up to speed' about this. I haven't done it - or needed to - for a loooong time. Maybe someone with recent experience will chime in on this thread. But I'll help with questions I feel confident answering.

Google is always your friend. There should be plenty of info pop up with a simple search. I personally much prefer written material over YouTube tutorials.
Got it. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
So of all the rainbow of <something>2SD apps that are available, which one would be most likely to give me the best result? The "Root External 2 Internal SD" app seems perfect, but it's been removed from play.google.com, which makes me suspicious of it.

And all of these mention moving an app once installed but I have yet to see one with will install to the external SD from the gitgo. Am I overlooking any?

EDIT:
...4. You can read Linux filesystems in Windows but Windows is too stupid to do it without help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows/...
Actually, on second thought, I'm not sure this is something I want to try. I dual boot Windoze with Linux on both of my desktops with each OS on a separate HDD. As is, neither of the Windoze OSes can "see" what's on the Linux OS's HDD, which I count a good thing because those two can't seem to live in the same neighborhood without coming to blows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones