• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ADW.Launcher works well the the Captivate

Dennis_Bham

IMO, those of you that want to try different Home Launchers should load Home Switcher and then try ADW.Launcher along with Launcher Pro. Home Switcher allow you to easily switch between the different launchers.

I'm new to android and I'm sure it's a personal preference thing to a large degree, but after playing with Launcher Pro (Free version) and with ADW.Launcher, I find ADW.Launcher very feature rich and my Captivate is really snappy.

I noticed a pretty good increase in speed over LauncherPro and my battery life appears to be better as well. I'm monitoring it for a few days before I make a final determination.

I noticed a pretty good increase in speed over LauncherPro and my battery life appears to be better as well. I'm monitoring it for a few days before I make a final determination.

You're not the first person to mention better battery life with ADW.Launcher over LauncherPro... I'm really curious about this and I'm testing it out myself. It's the weekend now though, so work-week testing will have to resume Monday, haha.

I'm absolutely amazed how this has taken away the Lag on the captivate. I feel like ADW.Launcher does a much better job showing off the hardware on the phone. There are a couple things that I like better on LauncherPro(such as the 3 section dock), but I will gladly live without them for the performance boost.

Is there a way to have the gmail application indicate new messages in ADW similar to the way I could in Launcher?

Is there a way to have the gmail application indicate new messages in ADW similar to the way I could in Launcher?

I'm wondering this as well. I did some digging around the interwebz but I can't seem to find an answer. I've seen a couple posts where people asked that question but didn't receive an answer.:(

I'm wondering this as well. I did some digging around the interwebz but I can't seem to find an answer. I've seen a couple posts where people asked that question but didn't receive an answer.:(

My guess is no, and that could be a deal breaker for me on ADW.

I love this launcher..works great! Reminds me of the vanilla android I used to have on my droid. Although I haven't seen too much with saving on the battery..but I've only used it for about 12 hours now heh!!!

I was all sold on LauncherPro until ADWLaucher came out of left field and won me over. The ability to set the background color of the app drawer, the number of columns and rows on the home screens, a finer control over widget siziing, the possibilities of theme application, and a bit more logically arranged settings screen, makes this be tailored to your needs perfectly. It's a tie on my phone in terms of responsiveness between ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro. There are a couple of things like dragging items across screens and dock backgrounds that Launcher Pro does better, but otherwise ADW launcher rules the roost.

After playing with ADW Launcher for a little while, it's back to Launcher Pro for me. Both are great, but there is one killer feature in LauncherPro missing from ADW. Ability to drag folders across the home screens. Without this, I have to delete the folder I created on screen and recreate it another if I decide to add more screens. I also like how Launcher Pro makes the folders semi-transparent so that you can still see the home screen below. Both seem equally snappy, so I had to chose between the two.

Wait what? I can drag folders across homescreens ... I just did it right now. It's exactly the same as it was for touchwiz and LauncherPro.

I agree, I can drag apps, widgets, folders, etc across home screens in ADW.Launcher ...
drag it to the edge and hold it there for a second ... SNAP !

I played with both but prefer launcherpro due to the dock icon notifications, coming from the iphone I've grown accustom to seeing the little red number on the mail, text and phone icons.

I agree, I can drag apps, widgets, folders, etc across home screens in ADW.Launcher ...
drag it to the edge and hold it there for a second ... SNAP !

My mistake. I suppose I did not hold it over the edge long enough. I do prefer the translucent folder display and dock notification icons of Launcher Pro. Not a whole lot of difference in them otherwise.

Does it have a customizable app drawer though? I like being able to move the icons around in TouchWiz and group by page. That's the main reason I don't use Launcher Pro.

Back