• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help After cache wipe, phone will not reboot

Phone: Samsung Note 4, Android OS V5.1.1, rooted, stock ROM

My battery life has recently been quite poor. After some reading, I decided to wipe the cache. I booted my phone into TWRP and clicked on Wipe->Advanced and selected Cache and and dalvik/ART cache. Once this was done, I rebooted and TWRP presented a message to the effect of ' Install Super SU - your phone does not appear to be rooted'. I clicked yes (which was probably a mistake as SuperSU is on the phone).

The initial reboot seems to go okay, but the phone hangs with the Sprint SPARK screen. I have left the phone alone for up to 10 minutes, but rebooting shouldn't take this long - something seems to be quite wrong! I do not want to do a hard reset because of a) the amount of effort needed to reinstall everything (even with Titanium backup) and b) because I am fearful that my SMS and phone logs will be lost (not sure that Titanium backs those up).

I am currently using TWRP to backup my phone, but this is not going to solve the problem. What should I try? I am very nervous about not having my phone as my elderly father is having health issues and I need to be available...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Taking into consideration all cache files are always going to be non-vital and self-restoring (but still necessary), it sounds like you might have inadvertently borked the operating system in some way.
Just a couple of long-short suggestions:
-- If you keep your Note in a case, check that none of the volume or power buttons are being affected if your phone has shifted out of place.
-- As your Note 4 has a user replaceable battery try removing the battery for a few minutes, put everything back together and see if it will boot up normally again.

You might just have to resort to re-flashing with a stock ROM. This will of course return it back to it's former, non-rooted state but it should get your phone working again. (... and be sure to double-check that the Re-partition option in the Odin utility is NOT enabled, so hopefully all your data will still be there).
https://updato.com/firmware-archive...&exact=1&r=&v=Lollipop(Android+5.1.1)&rpp=100

And for future reference, this 'SMS Backup & Restore' app does a nice job at backing up and restoring text messages and phone call logs:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_US

Reactions: KBU2 and Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones