• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Allow access

stuarta

Android Enthusiast
Just noticed odd issue the last few days that when I run an app that displays the pop-up to allow or deny access to storage, the allow box doesn't do anything only the deny.

Anyone else ever seen this?

Is it always the same apps? It might be that you have specific permissions turned off (yeah, we can do that now) that the app is looking for.

Had it with a game the other day, can't remember what, but now have it with sleep as looking to access photos, media and files. Where should I go looking to check things?

When it's asking for permissions, does it tell you what app is looking for those permissions? A screen shot would be helpful.

Ere goes. Weird cos even on this, when I selected upload file on this forum it popped up asking for permission to access files. I couldn't select allow only deny but even after pressing deny it still browsed my phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160626-194213.png
    Screenshot_20160626-194213.png
    542.7 KB · Views: 82
Just went into settings and apps for sleep as and selected yes for all the settings and it doesn't prompt now, but surely I should still be able to manually select as promoted. All very odd

Go to menu>settings>apps and find 'Sleep' and tap on it. Tap on permissions and see what it wants that you have turned off.

Yep if I go in and turn them all off, it prompts, but surely I should be able to manually select allow in the app. Never had to go into settings before to enable, always enabled allow from the prompts when needed

Unless somehow the permissions for the notification system were changed and it doesn't have the privileges to elevate when you tap 'allow' (just thinking out loud here.)

If the problem with permissions exists i the system partition (and i kinda think it has to) then a rest might not fix it. You have to flash the factory firmware

There is a security feature that when you have a screen overlay present, android won't let you change sensitive settings. The idea is that a malevolent app could display a benign-looking screen over the top enticing you to click but it may be tricking you into clicking on something underneath that will give more permissions than you intend or increase vulnerability that you did not intend. Normally you get an error message popup if a screen is overlay detected while you are adjusting sensitive settings, but maybe the error is missing for some reason. I would double check to see if there is any screen overlay app within running processes. Two types of apps generally have screenoverlay permission
1 app to tint the screen, for instance Twilight
2 app that displays floating helper panel partly obscuring other app running in foreground
You can also check which apps have permission to display overlay in settings

Last edited:
I can't see any dodgy looking apps. Getting damn annoying now having to go to settings to alter the permissions rather than being able to click allow

Ah thank you. Just found the setting for draw over and turned out to be File Manager HD by Cheetah Mobile.

Thanks for your help, was damn frustrating

Back
Top Bottom