• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon Eris for one cent

On the Amazon wireless site I see that I can upgrade my contract ( I am due in 5 days) with an Eris for a penny. The only catch I can see is that one must stick with the selected plan for 180 days (kind of a no brainer since nowadays two years is the norm). So I emailed Verizon to see if they could match the deal. Here is the response I received.

"Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless, my name is Chris, and I regret to say that we will not match third part pricing but I can say there is more value when going thru us directly.

Since Verizon Wireless offers a wide variety of calling plans, promotions, and wireless devices to meet your needs, we do not discount our service or "match" the offers of other sellers. With Verizon Wireless you will enjoy the nation

Well its only $29 for 2 of them from verizon, i just got 2 this past week with my new every 2 discount. It was $79 with a 2 year contract and buy one get one free. Once you deduct my $50 credit for new every 2 it came to $29 for both units, we got to keep the same phone #'s as we've had for years and they overnighted them to us. Not too bad.

Reactions: humboldtsgt
Upvote 0
I just got my eris from amazon wireless with 2 day shipping. Anyway dial *611 on your current verizon phone and press 0 and talk to a verizon rep.

basically going through amazon wireless to get your phone is the same as going to a franchised own verizon store. You essentially are just going through amazon as a vendor for your phone and they get a cut from verizon for u continuing ur contract.

From talking to verizon several time I know that each employee makes stuff up. one told me that the warranty was voided by purchasing via amazon wireless as the other one said its fine and nothing is wrong.

Basically If u want to save money go with amazon.

Upvote 0
I bought my eris at amazon wireless last week as an upgrade on a line. The number on the amazon wireless verizon activation paper (what they give you with your order) was closed at the time I called, so I just dialed 611 and had a CSR help me activate it. I tried *228 option 1, but that didn't work for me initially, until I had the CSR verify the ESN.

The only thing about buying the phone from amazon wireless is they will charge you $250 if you cancel or disconnect your line within the first 6 months, but to most of us this isn't a problem because verizon has there own crazy termination fees (as everyone knows by now).

humboldtsgt, on a side note, I couldn't help but notice you live in Arcata. Do you go to Humboldt State University? If so how to do you like it? I was thinking of going there, but its about 5 hours away from where I live. I'm getting old now, all my friends are graduated and I've been in college for 4 years and still 2-3 years away from a degree. I've got my GE done at least at another CSU and now I'm at a community college trying to get an associates just to have something.

Upvote 0
I got mine for free at the verizon store. They charged me 100 in store than I received my mail in rebate about 2 weeks later for the hundred. See if they can work something like that for you if you feel safer going through Verizon. Everyone should know that what they ask for a phone you don't always have to accept. They want 190 for the phone less the 100 dollar mail in rebate and made it 90. I told them, look its 80 online, and I dont have to have the hassle of a rebate. They came back and said were going to give you the phone for 100 and give you a 100 dollar mail in rebate. I said done. Just barter with them, they always back down because ultimately they want that money lol.

Upvote 0
This makes me so, so sad.... I wasn't up for my early upgrade when I wanted my phone back in early December. I think I talked to 5 or 6 reps before I finally made it to a "higher up" and after 10 minutes of explained why my Chocolate just wasn't cutting it anymore and how could they deny such a loyal customer an early upgrade, blah blah blah... she gave it to me for $99. After a mail in rebate. My bill that month was over $400 (including the phone).

And now people are buying it for anywhere from $0.01 to $9.99. Damn. But I guess such is the nature of the electronics world.

Edit: And for the record, in my HUMBLE opinion... this phone is still absolutely worth it. Especially since Big Red will be sending us a whole new OS in the next few weeks. How awesome is that, really? But maybe I'm just easy to please...

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of your personal experiences regarding the Eris and Verizon/Amazon. I will give the barter route a try next week when I plan to upgrade. If they won't bargain then I will go to Amazon. I have dealt with Amazon before and have had good experiences with their service.

Anyways, thanks to all

If you go to Best Buy the phone is free and they will transfer all of your contacts. I picked up one for my wife about 2 weeks ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones