• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Android Box to access W10 shared folder

Goble1

Lurker
Hi all,

am looking for an Android box that will be able to read JPGs and MP4 on a Windows PC using Wi-Fi. The box will then display them on a TV. There are a lot of android box on the market but am looking for one with an Android OS which will be able to support a File Manager like ES file explorer or another paid App. The App should be able to use it's built-in media player to play the files one after the other.

I know ES file explorer just stops after playing a file and will not automatically read the next files.

So this is shared drives in a Windows PC, rather than a true NAS? From what I remember if you wish to share them with anything but other Windows systems, like Linux or Macs, you have to enable Samba on the clients. Of course I really use Windows much these days, so can't help you any more with that.

As for ES not playing multiple videos. Its primary purpose is file explorer and not a media player. You could try something like Kodi. That can play multiple videos, do playlists and other fancy things, and it can view and play videos from a NAS.

Plex if you can install it on both the PC and the box if it is Android
Hi and thanks, However Plex is not very good to play files one after the other, I can maybe create a playlist but media files will be added on the Windows PC progressively. So the media player should be able to read the files in realtime.

So this is shared drives in a Windows PC, rather than a true NAS?
Yes

As for ES not playing multiple videos. Its primary purpose is file explorer and not a media player. You could try something like Kodi. That can play multiple videos, do playlists and other fancy things, and it can view and play videos from a NAS.
Thanks but I can'y use playlist anyway.

Another solution would be to share a folder on the android device with the windows PC, I would then have a script on the windows device that would update the shared android folder. From there a Media Player would just read the content on the Android Device. Any media player that would read the files one by one considering the fact that new files will be added progressively.

Hi and thanks, However Plex is not very good to play files one after the other, I can maybe create a playlist but media files will be added on the Windows PC progressively. So the media player should be able to read the files in realtime.

Yes

Thanks but I can'y use playlist anyway.

Another solution would be to share a folder on the android device with the windows PC, I would then have a script on the windows device that would update the shared android folder. From there a Media Player would just read the content on the Android Device. Any media player that would read the files one by one considering the fact that new files will be added progressively.

You can do that with FTP. There's FTP server apps available for Android, but can't recommend any particular one now though. I've done it with Macs that have an FTP client in the Finder. Windows, you may need to install an FTP client app, not sure about that. I use Macs mostly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom