• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android studio cursor behaviour

RhinoCan

Jul 5, 2015
I just did *something* in Android Studio (3.1.4) that messed up my cursor behaviour. Suddenly, I was getting a cursor that was more than one line tall, the behaviour of that cursor also changed substantially. I did this once before several weeks back and had a devil of a time getting out of it. This time, I got out of it faster by simply exiting Android Studio and coming back in (which may have been how I finally fixed it the first time).

I saw something comparable in a Meetup recently for another tool (possibly PHP Storm but I'm not sure.) I gather that it can be helpful and is NOT a sign that anything is broken.

I have several closely related questions:
  1. What is this feature called?
  2. How did I invoke it? (What keystroke did I inadvertently hit to invoke it?)
  3. How do I turn it off?
  4. Why can't I find it in the keyboard shortcuts cheat-sheet for Windows? (If I'd known the name of the feature, I could have found out how to turn it on or off but I didn't see anything involving cursors in that sheet.)
  5. And lastly, what is it supposed to do for me?

Many thanks! At least I know how to get these cursors and get out of them without having to exit Android Studio now :)

They don't do a very good job of explaining why I'd ever want to *use* this feature though. I'm still scratching my head a bit on that.... I think I'll stay "old school" for now; I seem to be able to do everything I want without having to use multicursor.

Upvote 0
As a late followup, I found a video that actually explains what multicursor does a bit more and now I'm starting to see the point to it. I may dabble with it occasionally, when it would save me lots of repetitive editing.

Here's the video in case anyone else stumbles on this thread:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones