• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Answered] SMS problems on EE in the UK

JAy3001

Android Expert
I've noticed that I cannot send SMS messages to multiple recipients. Sits there sending and then fails with no error, just a retry option.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm on EE here in the UK.

Sorry, I haven't ran in to that. I'm on T-Mobile here in the states and group messaging works fine with the Lollipop default Messenger app.

Make sure your APN settings are correct, you should be able to verify the settings with your provider's tech support. That's all I can think of at the moment, but it's 5 AM and I haven't had coffee yet. :(

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. I am currently in contact with EE trying to sort it. No luck yet though.

Odd single recipient texts go though!

When you attempt to send these messages to multiple recipients, do you have your mobile data enabled? (or only on WiFi?)

I have both enabled. Twice they would have been sent on WiFi and once, today on mobile data.

just for kicks, could you try disabling WiFi, then enable Mobile data, and then try to send the message?

I've disabled wifi, no difference.

Tech at EE state the APN will have no effect on standard txts.

sounds like a local issue, either with your account or the cellular network in your area.

i have seen this issue with other devices and carriers (no outgoing calls, no MMS BUT can send SMS, etc etc and any other combination) so give it time to sort it self out.

i suspect your device is ok, but thats a guess from many thousands of miles away across the pond...

Thanks for the replies.

Tech support have stopped tweeting me now. I've thought of clearing the data on the app itself and starting afresh. Not sure what issues this may cause though, don't want to make things worse.

Cannot find any support for the nexus 6 on their site either or SMS number to Txt to get sent the phone settings.

A couple of things that you might get lucky with...

Go to Settings > Apps > Select your messaging app > Clear cache.

Open your messaging app, go to Settings > Group messaging > Uncheck 'Use MMS to send a single message when there are multiple recipients'.

If it is MMS-related EE have a separate APN for MMS than for ordinary mobile data, so you could have data working but MMS not. Worth checking - sending a single MMS to someone would eliminate that as a possibility (or indicate that there is a problem there).

That said, I'm pretty sure that my occasional multi-recipient messages go as SMS not MMS (my phone's default message app has a "group MMS" option, which is turned off). This may of course depend on network and number of recipients, possibly on app (I am also on EE, usually don't send to more than 2 recipients). EE should be able to tell anyway.

Thank you for the replies. I cleared the app data, uninstalled the update and retried with no luck. Reinstalled the update, disabled send as MMS and they went.

Looking at the APN it would appear there are no settings stored for MMS, so I need to find them and hopefully all will be OK.

Thank you for all your help today, certainly more helpful than EE.

Finally sorted the issue.

There appears to be a known issue with the default messenger app and lollipop where it gets confused with which APN to use when sending MMS.

Solution 1 is to use a different messenger app. (No thanks)
Solution 2 is to delete all non EE APNs so that you only have:

EE Internet and EE MMS.

Wait for your phone to reconnect (a minute or so) and all is well.

Finally sorted the issue.

There appears to be a known issue with the default messenger app and lollipop where it gets confused with which APN to use when sending MMS.

Solution 1 is to use a different messenger app. (No thanks)
Solution 2 is to delete all non EE APNs so that you only have:

EE Internet and EE MMS.

Wait for your phone to reconnect (a minute or so) and all is well.

Did you see this suggestion for solving the problem?

http://dyn.co/206r9x

Received from Carphone Warehouse. It doesn't work and I'm a bit scared to try your suggestion. Seems a bit drastic?

Excellent. :)

After much swearing, messing around I finally after a month found an item on the interweb about the issue. :p

Indeed. :D

I told Carphone via the link. Problem with EE is that they don't support the Nexus 6 yet because they don't sell it directly, just through Carphone. o_O

Back
Top Bottom