• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any harm in using phone charger to charge N7?

I tried using a phone charger with 500mA (About half the stock chargers for most phones). It charged for several hours and only went up a few percent. You are best using the stock charger when possible or find another character that outputs 2A. If not you might be waiting a while. Also to note that using your computer to charge your device instead of the wall charger is generally only 500 mAs so that will take a long while as well.

Upvote 0
425707a1-d6ca-8468.jpg

Using the car charger my dad got with his droid

Upvote 0
The output from the charger should be printed on the side. All USB chargers are 5v, but the charging speed will depend on whether or not the charger (and/or cable) can supply the full 2 amps.

I tried charging mine with my nook color (1.9 amp) charger and a generic cable. It took about 14 hours to reach full charge. Using the supplied charger and cable it only took a couple hours from dead empty. Next time I fully drain it I'm going to try the Asus charger with a generic cable and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I am not going to pretend to fully understand it but something I learned with my Kindle Fire not all USB cords are equal. What I ended up finding out is that some USB cables have a extra connector or wire something that allows them to pull more current then others.

When you connect them up to a compatible device it registers this extra connections and allows the cable to pull more power.

I am not sure if its just a "Lawyer protection" or if the cables are more hardy. Comparing my Kindle charger to any of my standard USB chargers they all look the same.

Actually I have only use my kindle fire charger to charge my N7 so far, and it seems to be working fine. And as mentioned above the length of the cable can affect the charge rate since when you draw more than a couple of amps there would be a voltage drop on a long usb cable if the wire isn't extra heavy to handle it.

Upvote 0
Actually I have only use my kindle fire charger to charge my N7 so far, and it seems to be working fine. And as mentioned above the length of the cable can affect the charge rate since when you draw more than a couple of amps there would be a voltage drop on a long usb cable if the wire isn't extra heavy to handle it.

The Kindle Fire charger seems to have that little extra connector. In fact its how I even learned about it. I lost my Kindle Fire Charger and needed a replacement. I didn't wanna shell out 20bucks for the crappy Chinese Generic Amazon sells. I ended up doing it anyway to be on the safe side.

I also use my Amazon charger to charge my cell phone its 10x's faster then using a normal charger.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones