• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any SMS Backup Apps with Little Permissions?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
I'm running a stock S3 and I want to back up my text messages to gmail or my sd card. It looks like there are plenty of free options out there, but they all request way too many permissions. Does anyone know of one with very few permissions? Thanks in advance.

If you want to try a different SMS app, try GO SMS Pro. It's free and has this functionality built in.

However, it's going to be nearly impossible to find one with few permissions. Think how many permissions it would need because of what it does:
-Access to contacts
-SMS/MMS
-Services that may cost you money
-Find accounts (google)
-Write SD card storage

By default, it needs many. Just be sure to read what they are and if they don't make sense, don't install. Most of the time, you can figure out what they're for.

Because of what it does, it's going to need certain permissions. Be sure to read the apps comment section as nine times out of ten others will scream if something isn't quite right with an app and/or the developer. ;)

From time to time I've used SMS Backup, and find it safe and efficient. Otherwise if you are rooted you can use Titanium Backup to backup your SMS/MMS messages to your SD.

Back
Top Bottom