• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone else having trouble finding the ZTE Zmax in Metro stores?

PHP87

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2012
A Burger King bathroom...
CDMA support is ending here in the SF Bay Area and I would like to purchase the ZTE ZMax to replace my LG Spirit CDMA phone, a device I'm happy with, but I can't find a store that has it in stock.

Therefore, I can't take advantage of the $99.00 in-store pricing and instead will likely have to wait 3 Months for a MIR, or end up buying a device I really don't want and won't be happy with.

C'mon, Metro - Step it up and get the ZMax in your stores. If you ship them to customers then surely you can ship them to your stores.

Anyone else having problems finding the ZMax in/around your area?

Can my local store order one for me so I can get the $99.00 in-store purchase price?

Seems fishy that Metro is offering this phone at this price for in-store purchases, but in a major market like the SF Bay Area doesn't have them in any of their stores.

CDMA support is ending here in the SF Bay Area and I would like to purchase the ZTE ZMax to replace my LG Spirit CDMA phone, a device I'm happy with, but I can't find a store that has it in stock.

Therefore, I can't take advantage of the $99.00 in-store pricing and instead will likely have to wait 3 Months for a MIR, or end up buying a device I really don't want and won't be happy with.

C'mon, Metro - Step it up and get the ZMax in your stores. If you ship them to customers then surely you can ship them to your stores.

Anyone else having problems finding the ZMax in/around your area?

Can my local store order one for me so I can get the $99.00 in-store purchase price?

Seems fishy that Metro is offering this phone at this price for in-store purchases, but in a major market like the SF Bay Area doesn't have them in any of their stores.

I went to three local Metro PCS stores around my house (they are very close to each other) and none of them had it. I then decided to go as a last resort to a small authorize retailer inside of a Navarro store (similar to Walgreens) and amazingly they had a few of them in Stock. I got lucky I guess. I been 3 weeks with this phone and it has not disappointed. Love it, a steal for $99 dollars. Apparently people have been talking about this phone now because two regular people on separate occasions have asked me if that is the $99 dollar phone from Metro. Nice that people are actually giving other companies a chance.

Upvote 0
I went to three local Metro PCS stores around my house (they are very close to each other) and none of them had it. I then decided to go as a last resort to a small authorize retailer inside of a Navarro store (similar to Walgreens) and amazingly they had a few of them in Stock. I got lucky I guess. I been 3 weeks with this phone and it has not disappointed. Love it, a steal for $99 dollars. Apparently people have been talking about this phone now because two regular people on separate occasions have asked me if that is the $99 dollar phone from Metro. Nice that people are actually giving other companies a chance.
SAME! I went to one Metro store in my area and they were sold out and the people there said the phone is sold out at every store in my town.. so I called around and sure enough every MetroPCS in my town were sold out of the ZMAX. I ended up driving out to another nearby town and getting the last two they had in stock (one for me and one for my dad who got interested in the phone since they were sold out everywhere)

Reactions: Trevor Philips
Upvote 0
Been trying to find one for over a month. The Metro stores that actually answer their phones say they don't have them.
I'm ready to dump this carrier as calling Metro is useless, as is speaking to a Supervisor.
One store told me they had them and I spent an hour on the bus to the store and they said whoever told you we had them was mistaken. Then they tried to sell me a POS Avant.
F### Metro. I need to migrate to a GMS phone and they either have low-end phones or expensive, high-end phones.

BTW, about 75% of Metro stores do not answer their phones. F### Metro.

Reactions: voicemaster3000
Upvote 0
Been trying to find one for over a month. The Metro stores that actually answer their phones say they don't have them.
I'm ready to dump this carrier as calling Metro is useless, as is speaking to a Supervisor.
One store told me they had them and I spent an hour on the bus to the store and they said whoever told you we had them was mistaken. Then they tried to sell me a POS Avant.
F### Metro. I need to migrate to a GMS phone and they either have low-end phones or expensive, high-end phones.

Just buy it online man. You have to fill and wait for the mail and rebate but it's better than having to go through the hassle of getting a 2 hour ride.

Upvote 0

I feel your pain,you'd expect someone to be ready for you to throw your $/business their way,but,as you're finding out,the MVNO's (MPCS/CRICKET/BOOST/etc).....,lack in customer care.
Unfortunately,it's one of the trade-offs for a lower-priced service plan.

FWIW,I had the same results as you,not a single live person answering the phone & I also found the same franchisee apparently owns several MPCS stores in my area,as they all have the same number,less one independent dealer,who at least had a voice mail.
As dportal2006 suggested,I'd order on-line,if you can get the same discount.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Finally got one!
After a month of searching, I found a store that had them in stock.
When I get there, the sales rep tries to charge me full price.
I told him that was incorrect and he told me "don't tell me my job" etc.
After about 5 minutes of back and forth, I talk to the Manager, show him the Metro web site and also the FB Messenger thread I had with a MPCS rep verifying the $99 price.
Manager sells me the Zmax for $99, $122.xx out the door.
Love the device. Fast, fits well in my hand, pics and vids look great, etc....
Couldn't be happier.
On top of that, since the dick at the MPCS store gave me static, MPCS rep on FB gave me a $50 credit towards my monthly bill.
Since I couldn't keep the $30 promo plan I've had for 3 years, I upgraded to the $50 a month unlimited data plan.
I get about 35 MBPS on Data and on one server on Broadband, I got over 100 MBPS!
There are some things about 4.4.4 that I don't like, but overall I'm very happy with this device, especially the cost.
I have a phone case on order and it should arrive on Monday.
Now all we need is Root!

Oh yeah, my Brother feels dumb for paying $500+ for his Sammy 5 after seeing the Zmax, not to mention he's locked in a contract and pays something like $300 a month for 4 devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
How did your brother pay full price for the s5 get locked into a contract paying 300 a month for 4 lines??? Usually on a contract you get a subsidy on the handsets lol he got ripped if he paid full price. The 300 isn't awful that's 75 a line and if its Verizon or att sometimes the little extra is worth it with the added coverage. Anyway congrats on the max. Picked one up myself and have to say I'm impressed. Only thing I wish they would of used an IPS display instead of a tft display. Display angles aren't the best. But overall a great device for the price.

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
How did your brother pay full price for the s5 get locked into a contract paying 300 a month for 4 lines??? Usually on a contract you get a subsidy on the handsets lol he got ripped if he paid full price. The 300 isn't awful that's 75 a line and if its Verizon or att sometimes the little extra is worth it with the added coverage. Anyway congrats on the max. Picked one up myself and have to say I'm impressed. Only thing I wish they would of used an IPS display instead of a tft display. Display angles aren't the best. But overall a great device for the price.

My Brother's Sammy 5 got some water damage when he went on vacation in Puerto Vallarta, so he had to buy a new one at full price as he needs it for his business. My Brother makes some pretty good coin, so $500+ is like a couple of hours worth of work for him, but it's still a lot of money.

Upvote 0
How long is it taking you to charge the phone? The only thing I don't like about the phone is that it takes forever to charge. Like 3 hours.
From almost zero to full on the charger they included about 2 and a half hours. I tried using my Samsung charger and it went a lot quicker. Remember to its a 3400mah battery so it will take longer naturally to charge but the charger they include is absolute garbage.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones