• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App Icons Showing As Android Symbols, Some Not Showing In Main Menu On Reboot. Unsure What To Do?

loulou

Feb 12, 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Wondering if someone can help me out with this problem I'm having.

I'm running Android 2.3.5 (software number 3.12.405.1). I put an encryption password that comes up when rebooting (accessed through the Settings menu). I have an Integral 32GB MicroSD card.

Recently it's been acting rather weird. On the main screen there are Android symbols instead of the usual icons for certain apps, they won't run at all when they're displayed like this.

Certain apps which I know are still on the phone don't appear in the main apps menu, but do in Astro File Manager (I must admit I have a whole lot..I just did a clear-out to gain more internal memory, but the problem remains).

The most recent app I've put on was NQ Security 6.0.06.08. It's probably something really obvious but I don't want to go gung-ho and do a full reset!

Typically my two most-used apps (PowerAMP and Aldiko) are refusing to play ball and won't start up.

Trying to connect the HD and read it as Disk Drive on a PC is nigh-on impossible and very frustrating.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Wondering if someone can help me out with this problem I'm having.

I'm running Android 2.3.5 (software number 3.12.405.1). I put an encryption password that comes up when rebooting (accessed through the Settings menu). I have an Integral 32GB MicroSD card.

Recently it's been acting rather weird. On the main screen there are Android symbols instead of the usual icons for certain apps, they won't run at all when they're displayed like this.

Certain apps which I know are still on the phone don't appear in the main apps menu, but do in Astro File Manager (I must admit I have a whole lot..I just did a clear-out to gain more internal memory, but the problem remains).

The most recent app I've put on was NQ Security 6.0.06.08. It's probably something really obvious but I don't want to go gung-ho and do a full reset!

Typically my two most-used apps (PowerAMP and Aldiko) are refusing to play ball and won't start up.

Trying to connect the HD and read it as Disk Drive on a PC is nigh-on impossible and very frustrating.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Two things... is the SD card formatted as FAT32 and I'd get rid of NQ security. I did use this for a whole 10 minutes before I uninstalled it. Just slowed everything down and caused my icons to display android icons (as in your case) instead.

Reactions: loulou
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm pretty sure I formatted the MicroSD card, but I'll check when I can get the card to read properly!

Hm, maybe time to reconsider my anti-virus. I read an article that rated it as one of the best for detection. AVG did very badly, apparently.

(Just checked, the card is FAT32...hoping it'll read better now I've cleared some internal memory space).

Ack..and my phone seems to be randomly rebooting.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is driving me mad..my phone keeps rebooting randomly and some apps don't appear in the menu. Ones that run normally on reboot (for example, Battery Indicator Pro) don't run any more.

Switching between SD card and phone doesn't seem to help (thought it did originally). Do you think I have to do a factory reset? Or is the memory card malfunctioning? I've had the card around a year.

Upvote 0
"This phone has just recovered from an abnormal reset" :thinking:

Try this and see if your phone works better....

My HTC Desire safe mode

It disables all 3rd party apps on your phone so you can see what maybe causing it and I'm sure you can delete them whilst in this mode too! Once done just power off and turn on and you should be back to normal mode.
As for the memory card did you have the same problems with the original SD card, as in the one that came with the phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones