• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

April Factory images out (MMB29X...MOB30D)

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#shamu

Every month there are multiple items deemed "critical", but this month there was some extra commotion in the news about a linux kernel flaw, that almost led to a mid-month update in March.

So I'm going to flash this as soon I get a chance.

=======EDIT ======
Done. Attached is "about phone" info
Screenshot_20160406-170708.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe I jumped the gun.

Based on this report
MMB29X came out on April 4th... that's what I flashed
MOB30D came out April 11th.
Both are at the usual place

I don't know why two images came out a week apart. Maybe the first one was the urgent one originally envisioned as a mid-march update and the second one is the normal April? Beats me.:thinking:

There is a thread on xda about the new image. Someone mentioned new radio but it's not clear if that's all or not. I hope it's just the radio... in that case I'll probably skip it. I'm not keen to flash the image + root + xposed + franco kernel + redo my build.prop tweaks so soon again :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Th April 11 mob30d has new radio, system, and kernel, so I went ahead and flashed it.

Settings / "about phone" attached.

Interesting that the security patch level date still shows as april 2....same as it did on mmb29x from last week....weird!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160413-164512.png
    Screenshot_20160413-164512.png
    416.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's different between April 4th image (MMB29X) and April 11th image (MOB30D)?

I don't know a lot more than what was said above including the links.

One might infer from no change in security patch dates that maybe (?) the differences are not related to security.

Franco (the developer of Franco kernel) updates his kernel immediately on the same day that the nexus images become available and posts about it on xda and google+. From his posts, I do know that the more recent April 11 update added something that wasn't present April 4th: a performance improvement copying what Franco had recently done on other devices, as discussed here. Specifically they increased the "Kernel tick clock" from 100 (per second) to 300 (per second). The geeky explanation of tick rate here. My uninformed take from that page and the discussions about the recent change: it may result in very slight increase in speed for certain processes and also more accurate calculation of statistics that are measured over time (like attributing resource usage to various applications), at a very very small cost in increased battery usage.

I certainly haven't noticed any difference in speed or battery. And the numbers in my battery stats still don't add up (oh well, so much for more accurate calculation of statistics :p ). Seeing as we're already just about half way thru april, I guess you might not be missing much to wait for May.

Last edited:
Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones