• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

April Security Update

almath

Android Expert
I got the update today, since then none of my notifications work. Just get the lame bummp sound for everything. No in not rooted, I'm slightly upset ugh!!

Hmm. I've had both the versions that have come out in April and not got any problem with notifications.

I'm not sure what you mean by bump sound. Is it the vibration buzz or just a different notification sound than you're used to?

If it's just a different sound, it could be the notification you had chosen (which resides in system partition) was no longer available. Can you go to Settings / Sound & Notification / "Default Notification Ringtone" and select a suitable tone?

If it's just a vibration buzz, double check
Settings / Sound & Notification / Do Not Disturb - OFF
Settings / Sound & Notification / Ring volume slider (bell) - not all the way to the left.

Come to think of it, I used to have a problem where the first two seconds of any ringer-tone or alarm would never come through ...but I got rid of that with build.prop tweaks (root). It is a feature built into the stock sound software and I don't think that part changed recently.

Last edited:
I just get the default notification that comes on the phone. I tried to change the notification and ringtone but it won't change. DND is not on.
I had downloaded most of my tones and notifications and now none of them work. I have Textra and none of those notifications work. Ugh again!
Fear a factory reset is in the midst but I will be crushed a little if it doesn't work and by some fluke my sound system has been affected in some way.
Thanks!

Android is supposed to scan your media files during boot and find files if they are in the properly named directories.

There has been a variety of ways to name those directories used for notifications (and ringtones and alarms). Maybe Google is narrowing down to a smaller set of acceptable directory names (just a wild guess which is probably out in left field) . I have my custom notifications in Media/notifications and mine are working fine. Maybe you can try changing your directory names to be like mine and see if it works?

After that, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Yeah I have mine in media also in folders 'ringtones' and 'notifications'. Used Astro file explorer to try to change them around or something but nothing works. I'm at a loss, darn..
Thanks again!

I just get the default notification that comes on the phone. I tried to change the notification and ringtone but it won't change.
When you select the different notification sound, what happens? Does it allow you to change it, but play the wrong notification instead? Or does it not allow you to change it?

Does the change get saved? or if you go back in, has it changed to "Default"?
When you change the notification, does it play a preview of the sound as expected? Is it the correct sound?

What app notification are you trying to change? (besides the ring tone?)

When I change it, nothing happens it remains default. If I try to use another tone the selection doesn't change either. All my tones are now numbers 829, 816 when they used to be the name of the tone.
I can only try to change the sounds that actually came on the phone, the sound plays, I save it and when I test it it's the same default boomp tone not the one I changed it to.
I got a text after I updated and noticed I didn't hear it, I tried an email and got the boomp tone instead of what I had assigned. That's when I notice everything had changed.

By any chance, did you deny storage permissions for any apps recently? (for ringtones to be recognized, the app will need permissions to storage)

By any chance, did you deny storage permissions for any apps recently? (for ringtones to be recognized, the app will need permissions to storage)
No, not yesterday but I'll look through my apps to see if maybe I did. Thanks!

I googled and found this link where people had a variety of problems with ringtones.
None are identical to yours, but it suggests at least one easy thing to try:
Clear data/cache on the "media storage" app and reboot.
Less relevant - I also found this link which talks about ringtones showing up as numbers and perhaps an explanation why at a programming level, but it doesn't mean much to me.

I just got the 1st april update yesterday MMB29X am on consumer celluar with an unlocked nexus 6 still waiting for the 2nd april update

Back
Top Bottom