• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any downsides with MicoSD Card?

Mabaet

Jan 11, 2012
I'm going to use a Galaxy Note II 16gb model. And I'll just insert 64gb microsdcard.

Will it function fully as like how the Internal Memory Storage >perform<?
Is microsd somewhat slower? or does not actually stores all types of data, files or something? Is there limits? Or if any more, what are they.

I have the Galaxy Nexus now and it is my first Android phone without an sd card. I have no memory issues, but I fear when that day may come.

Personally, I used to pull the phone when it was charging on my computer all too often without unmounting the card/phone first. That caused all kinds of memory issues. I don't miss that.

Other than that I see no differences yet. Yet.

Upvote 0
A micro sd card is always good to have IMO. You can store music and such on it and it will play without problems. And like said above you can install apps to the sd card... well partially. Only part's of apps can be moved to external storage and they won't load first thing since the micro sd card has to load first.

Are micro sd cards slower than internal storage? Yes significantly depending on the class of the card where class 2 being the slowest and going up by 2's till you get to class 10 where that is the fastest. So there is class 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10.

Generally you won't notice the speed difference between them unless you are running a rom off of the sd card (via bootmanager) or transferring files to it. Also you need a class 6 or higher card to be able to record HD video without stutter.

A 64gb micro sdcard once formatted on the phone will perform very well. And you should be able to record HD video without any problems.

TL;DR version: It won't function completely like internal storage and will be a bit slower, but it shouldn't have any effect on a day to day basis, although you may notice that it is slower writing data to the micro sdcard than internal storage. Generally I only use a micro sdcard for music and such, but if you feel the need to install apps, well partial parts that can be moved to external storage, you should have no problem whatsoever. :)

Hope this helps :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones