• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

As of August 4th, what are the improvements on the Transform?

I have an Epic and my brother has the Evo and my dad wants to keep up w/ us tech wise. I'm looking for a starter android phone for him and I heard that the Transform would do. I've done tons of research on this phone, but it seems like all the info is from a long time ago. I saw conplaints about speed and video camera, etc. Phones are usually upgraded to fixes bugs and stuff, so I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on the Transform as of right now. Also, If you think the Transform suck, and I just need to get him something else, feel free to say so.

Did a quick check at phonescoop on the optimus and shift and they're rated higher but it seems like Transform has same or more features. It has full qwerty, longer talk time, same processor and front facing cam; and it's cheaper than the Shift. I even heard that it can video chat w/ my Epic and the Evo 4G. What am I missing that makes this phone rates so low considering the above?

This phone is the laggiest, most unresponsive piece of electronics I've ever seen. I hate mine. I've rooted it and put on one of Vamp's kernels and it still sucks. It was better for a bit after that, but it slowed down again. Some on here will disagree, but to me this phone is a horrible piece of crap. Making phone calls is a painful operation because of how laggy this thing is. Using apps is painful. It's just plain painful. If my bill wouldn't go up $10/mo to get somethine else, I would have run mine over with the car by now and gotten something else. Seriously. I'm not a fickle kid that thinks "that thing rulez!" for every flavor of the day. I'm 41 and just wanted a phone that worked and could run apps well. This is not that phone.

To be fair, if you can ever get this piece of junk to actually make or answer a phone call, the call sound quality is truly excellent. It also has a great slide-out keyboard, which is a large part of why I got it. But that ends the positives for me.

Transform is a good beginner phone. If you're like 5. Haha, but definitely pick another phone over this. It sounds like a mid-ranged phone but it does not work how it is supposed to.

The best Android starter phone I can recommend where the user won't be pulling their hair out due to the phone running like absolute trash is the LG Optimus S.

My Daughter has the Transform (Free from HEB Plus), my wife initially got the Intercept (Free from HEB Plus) but holy crap, that phone sucked! We returned the Intercept and got the Optimus S (free from Best Buy). The difference between the Transform/Intercept and the Optimus S is insane! Yes, the specs say Transform/Intercept have 800mhz processors while the Optimus S has a 600mhz one. But TRUST ME, the Optimus S runs sooooooo smooth.

My daughter had the option to switch to the Optimus S but she choose to stay with the Transform because it has a keyboard, front facing camera and a flash. She HAD to have the keyboard, which was the same thing my wife said (Which is why we got her the Intercept) BUT when I see both of them use their phones, 95% of the time they use the onscreen keyboard. My wife was using the Samsung Reclaim prior to moving to Android and she's definitely liking it after getting the Optimus S. She HATED the Intercept and wanted to go back to her Reclaim!

If I didn't have the need to own a top of the line phones (Evo 3D), I would absolutely, 100% use the Optimus S. The only drawback is the space on the phone (140mb) but for an Android beginner, they shouldn't be filling it up with junk anyway!

Unfortunatly I must agree. This phone is pretty crappy. The slideout keyboard is nice for texting, but that's about it. Battery life sucks. Answering the phone can be a chore. And the LAG...OMG.
On average I do a battery pull twice a day because it freezes up or just dosen't respond to what I'm doing. Too bad I'm stuck in the contract.
Good luck to ya!
R

The samsung transform has a faster processor than the Optimus S, but the Optimus S has better grapics than the Transform.

You guys are uninformed. Evo Shift has the same processor speed as us but guess what? A Snapdragon powers that, and it can be OC'd to 2gtz. Transform has 256MB of RAM, the Optimus S has 512MB, same with the Shift.

[TheAndroid];3108203 said:
You guys are uninformed. Evo Shift has the same processor speed as us but guess what? A Snapdragon powers that, and it can be OC'd to 2gtz. Transform has 256MB of RAM, the Optimus S has 512MB, same with the Shift.

I'm so much more educated about phones after having bought this cool looking, cool sounding, poorly functioning Transform. LOL!

I will probably get an iPhone after my 1st year is up on my contract in October, and pay whatever the difference will be for a 2 yr contract extension. I'm on the SERO plan, so I assume I'll probably have to pay an additional 10. for 4G, but I pay about 47 now with taxes, so I'm not complaining, it's just this phone is so laggy, that it put a bad taste in my mouth about Android, even though I know there's better Androids out there.

I have a transform. I had no prob with it. After rooting it it got even better.
Just saying... I have had no problem with it.

I just posted a thread about leaving the Transform. I did all I could with it and it just couldn't keep up with what I needed it to do. I would assume the person who posted above me is only using it to browse and text, because beyond that, you can't do much with this phone, even rooted. It just doesn't have the best hardware out there, which it wouldn't for a started Droid.

I just switched to Motorola XPRT, unknowing that iPhone would be coming but I like Android platform better anyway.

non-sense. the phone will lag ang hang if you fill it with programs running at the background. mines just perfectly fine, it perhaps is one of the more user friendly samsung phones out there. keep the drama low, and the phone will not complain. just like mine. :D

Back
Top Bottom