• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ASUS transformer prime faster????

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
I was discussing how fast these new tablets are with a coworker who owns the T-prime. He commented that it was nice to finally be able to have live wallpapers running without bogging down his tablet. I hadn't tried a live wallpaper since I got my N10 so I thought I would try it out. I first restarted the N10 to make sure it was running optimally. I downloaded a few of the live wallpapers he showed me on his T-prime so I was running the exact same ones. Mine was HORRIBLE! I'm not running any widgets (he had 3 or 4 running) but the screen had a horrible case of the jitters when I would swipe from one side to another. I was baffled to say the least. I then looked up benchmark tests for the T-prime and the N10. Everywhere I looked, the N10 destroyed the T-prime on benchmarks. I even looked up benchmark tests comparing the graphics processors, Mali T604 VS Tegra 3. I don't get it. Why do live wallpapers work so poorly on the N10?

Which wallpapers have you tried? I've never seen sluggish performance on my Nexus when I was into live wallpapers, but I mostly used Galaxy3D, Planet 3D, and a handful of others.

I've found that there are "good" LWP developers and "bad" LWP developers... certain ones have no impact on my tablet and certain ones absolutely tank it.

Kittehface Software LWPs are flat-out amazing looking and have no impact on my tablets -- hell, they don't even chug on my Xoom.

(Disclaimer: not associated with Kittehface Software in any capacity -- I'm just a fan.)

My 2 favs:
nxK0bM3sqxYlIbSINlX6SZakF3qed5pVq99OLWKFfvLUvfSQ334jXUF-wT8_cBZ3HeS8=w705

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2PwDhTZcPA0

MIk06zE8x61R1VICXytwk1GlcscpEP_FQFeMQkJf-CvvdmErPj63d7nHoJfdZfxESzH1=w705

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wxxnxC9TDyM

I can't answer your question directly. I have no idea why the live wallpapers you tried have issues. Keep in mind the resolution on the Nexus 10 is 4X that of the Prime. That's a lot more pixels to push. Or it could be you just needed to let them settle and fully refresh before trying to swipe or something. All speculation on my part.

But this isn't speculation.

I own a Transformer Prime, Transformer Infinity and Nexus 10. I'll tell you unequivocally that the Nexus 10 is faster and more fluid on almost any task. Light years better in fact. Ask your friend how he likes getting the "Application Not Responding" prompts during web browsing. It's horrid. Asus cheaped out with lousy I/O controller and it kills multitasking performance.

I can't answer your question directly. I have no idea why the live wallpapers you tried have issues. Keep in mind the resolution on the Nexus 10 is 4X that of the Prime. That's a lot more pixels to push. Or it could be you just needed to let them settle and fully refresh before trying to swipe or something. All speculation on my part.

But this isn't speculation.

I own a Transformer Prime, Transformer Infinity and Nexus 10. I'll tell you unequivocally that the Nexus 10 is faster and more fluid on almost any task. Light years better in fact. Ask your friend how he likes getting the "Application Not Responding" prompts during web browsing. It's horrid. Asus cheaped out with lousy I/O controller and it kills multitasking performance.

This probably sums it up. Prime is only 1280x720 for resolution, while Nexus 10 is 2560 x 1600. That's a big jump and for a live wallpaper pushing out new pixels continuously, it can really bog down especially if it's poorly coded.

The IO is so bad on the TF Infinity, that the only real way to help remedy it is to unlock and install a custom rom that adds fixes to reduce the problem.

This probably sums it up. Prime is only 1280x720 for resolution, while Nexus 10 is 2560 x 1600. That's a big jump and for a live wallpaper pushing out new pixels continuously, it can really bog down especially if it's poorly coded.

The IO is so bad on the TF Infinity, that the only real way to help remedy it is to unlock and install a custom rom that adds fixes to reduce the problem.
Its a shame. Because I liked the transformer models. Some things they did very well. But the I/O issues killed the usability. And if a custom ROM can help (it can't fix it completely though), then no excuse why ASUS can't push out. The problem is well known and they've ignored it.

I've found that there are "good" LWP developers and "bad" LWP developers... certain ones have no impact on my tablet and certain ones absolutely tank it.

Kittehface Software LWPs are flat-out amazing looking and have no impact on my tablets -- hell, they don't even chug on my Xoom.

(Disclaimer: not associated with Kittehface Software in any capacity -- I'm just a fan.)

My 2 favs:
nxK0bM3sqxYlIbSINlX6SZakF3qed5pVq99OLWKFfvLUvfSQ334jXUF-wT8_cBZ3HeS8=w705

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2PwDhTZcPA0

MIk06zE8x61R1VICXytwk1GlcscpEP_FQFeMQkJf-CvvdmErPj63d7nHoJfdZfxESzH1=w705

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wxxnxC9TDyM

Very cool, thanks..........

Back
Top Bottom