• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] New to rooting and ROMs, newbie's experience notes and questions

meissen

Sep 1, 2012
So before I installed a new ROM, I thankfully had the thought to backup the stock ROM using Recovery, and I also had the thought to back everything up using Titanium Backup pro.

So I use Rom Manager to install CM10 Nightly, set up the phone, etc. I install Titanium Backup Pro and restore all app data and system data and find out that royally effed the phone up with a bunch of apps stopping messages (Exchange, contacts, etc).

Not knowing how to fix and since I was only 10 minutes into the ROM, I reflash to a new CM10 Nightly. I figured this time I'd be more specific and try to restore just the contacts. That caused acore to stop working, and I found a fix was to clear data. All that accomplished was giving me about 1/3rd of my address book and no contact pictures.

So here's my issues that I don't know how to fix:

1. CM10's Contacts are not getting the pictures from Facebook no matter how many times I sync. How do I get the pictures into my Contact list?

2. About a third to about half of my contacts are missing. The only account I'm missing from the Accounts list is the Samsung account which I have a feeling is the key here... how do I add my Samsung account? Or - how can I restore my stock ROM, backup my contacts, and restore them to the CM10 nightly ROM without getting a ton of error messages about acore stopping?

I installed the nightlies because that was the only choice on the ROM Manager app.

I was able to get the contacts I needed by flashing to the stock ROM, using Go Contacts I was able to backup all the contacts to the SD card, then flash to the new rom and import from the SD card.

Then I was able to use Hyaxx or something to get all the Facebook contact pictures to show up in the contacts.

Upvote 0
Go to your phone settings then about phone. Select updates and select stable version and check for the latest stable version. I think it's 20120811. Update to the then use the nightlies once you have gotten everything up to date.

You still haven't asked my question, did you install the Gapps? Gapps is all the google apps like the play store and gmail.

Here are the links for cm10. If you aren't AT&T then you have to select the correct version on the left. CyanogenMod Downloads

Gapps Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones