• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Life Problems With My Droid Pro

lordpuffer

Hi....I switched from an iPhone 4 to a Motorola Droid Pro. The only problem is that the battery life is so short. Verizon told me that it was because of the many tasks that are running, and advised me to get the free version of Advanced Task Killer. I installed it, and killed most of the tasks, however they start running again by themselves. Does anyone have any suggestions to save battery life? If there is a better App to use to kill tasks, how do I uninstall Advanced Task Killer? Thanks. :)

Task killers have their fans and detractors, lordpuffer. I'm a detractor, as I've found that app configuration and phone signal seeking are the two biggest factors in resource load and battery life.

No autosyncing of Facebook, gmail, weather, etc.. just manual/as needed syncing. ;)

If you move around much during the times your device is on, and into weak tower signal areas, your phone will be polling towers more often and your battery will suffer, sometimes also causing lag in the operation of the device as you browse or move from screen to screen.

GPS/maps can chew up battery life as well if you've got your location configured to be the most accurate (sometimes the maps app will ask for wifi to be turned on - I only do that when needed, as well).

There are articles all over about battery life..

Nate?s Straight Talk Express - Android Battery Life Tips .. etc. ;)

Hey Puffer.

I've also had Verizon download and install advanced task killer on my phone, and all it did was drain my battery faster. Its a helpful app, but having it autokill every app that is running really causes further battery problems.

Many of the apps restart immediately after being killed because of them being associated with Widgets on your home screens, and others arent actually running but are in a "standby" mode in the background. Killing them only makes the phone work harder to reload them all, which drains the battery more.

Thanks......How would I uninstall Advanced Task Killer? I'm not sure how you uninstall an App from the Market.

Drag its icon to the trash can, which will appear on your screen when you long-press the app icon, and hold it over the trash can until the little "drop to uninstall app" prompt appears.

Dragging the icon to the trash can and letting it go before that prompt merely removes it from the screen, leaving the app installed.

I tried holding it over the trash can many times, for a while, and a "drop to uninstall app" prompt did not appear.

EDIT: I was able to uninstall it under settings < applications......Thanks.

For future reference, you can also go to the Market, hit the menu button, then select My Apps. You can view all your apps downloaded through the android marketplace there, and update or uninstall them.

Hi...I read the article that you posted. At one point, it says:

"Set the data refresh in social networking apps to every half-hour or less often, or to manual refresh. I found that I always hit refresh after I open these apps anyway in order to get the most up-to-date information."

I set up Facebook on the phone, but for the life of me, I can't find the settings to change when the data refreshes.....Can you possible direct me where it is?

Also, I want to put a couple of widgets on my phone like the date, weather, and maybe news. Should that be ok?

Anything else you can think of would be useful. You had said " No autosyncing of Facebook, gmail, weather, etc.. just manual/as needed syncing. I have to have gmail autosynced. However, I don't know if Facebook is autosynced or if weather will be autosynced once I put the widget on. If you can direct me with that, I would appreciate it. Thanks you again for all of your help.

Battery life shouldn't be a huge issue. My guess is that you have one of 2 problems. One, you're tinkering with your phone constantly. The first few days I had mine, I could kill the battery very quickly, but I was playing with it constantly. You'll find that once the "new" wears off, you'll have less of an issue. Mine's been on since 6am this morning and I still have 60% remaining. Two, you have an app that's a battery hog. Go to your setting and select battery manager. If you have an app that's listed near the top, that's the problem. My advice would be to get rid of it and find an alternative.

Battery life shouldn't be a huge issue. My guess is that you have one of 2 problems. One, you're tinkering with your phone constantly. The first few days I had mine, I could kill the battery very quickly, but I was playing with it constantly. You'll find that once the "new" wears off, you'll have less of an issue. Mine's been on since 6am this morning and I still have 60% remaining. Two, you have an app that's a battery hog. Go to your setting and select battery manager. If you have an app that's listed near the top, that's the problem. My advice would be to get rid of it and find an alternative.
Thanks...Even if I do not touch it, and it is on Standby, it dies after 8 hours. I even removed my Facebook account, but that didn't help. I'll look for that App that may be hogging all of the battery......It's charging right now.

Well......The Battery Manager is saying that my Display is using up 74% of the Battery......However, the Display is off most of the time. I'm really confused.

EDIT: It's about 9:00AM here, and since 4:00 AM the battery only lost 10%. What I did was restart it, and that had some affect on it. Hopefully the battery will last longer now. We'll see.

Yeah... I did try that but as soon as I plugged it in the device turned back on.... Im already on my third charge today...

Yeah... I did try that but as soon as I plugged it in the device turned back on.... Im already on my third charge today...

Has anyone figured this out? I have the extended battery and it use to last a entire day (9am-3am) and sometime a little til next morning. But now I'm charging 4-5 times a day. It's crazy! I can fully charge my phone and then unplug, screen will dim, all I do is wake it and I'm already down to 90%.

I just got a Droid Pro yesterday off eBay and am already noticing the battery problems (which is how I came across this thread). So I figured I would try the 'draining the battery and charging it while it's off for 4 hours' approach to see if that would help. Well I got down to 5 % and it's been charging I'd say an hour and already says it's 100 % charged. Do I leave it plugged in for another 3 hours anyway or just unplug it? I'm not quite sure if this is as much charge as it's going to get or how that works. Would buying a new battery be a good idea?

Back