• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery question

I have now learned from reading the forums, that battery memory is no longer an issue. Previously, I have always let my battery drain almost completely before re-chargIng. Then I would charge to "100% + 1 hour", if I could. I had understood that if you don't completely charge the battery it would learn a lower fill capacity. So I hardly ever took my phone off of the charger, once I started, until it reached 100%.

So my question is... With these newer batteries, can I take it off the charger before it has reached 100%, without it affecting the capacity? Can I do partial charges everyday when I leave work?

Ex. I roam at work and it kills my battery by the end of the day, because I need to keep data open (mostly). And I am not In one place at work, I'm all over the building. Can I partially charge in the car for 30 minutes or less everyday on my way to my next activity?

I have now learned from reading the forums, that battery memory is no longer an issue. Previously, I have always let my battery drain almost completely before re-chargIng. Then I would charge to "100% + 1 hour", if I could. I had understood that if you don't completely charge the battery it would learn a lower fill capacity. So I hardly ever took my phone off of the charger, once I started, until it reached 100%.

So my question is... With these newer batteries, can I take it off the charger before it has reached 100%, without it affecting the capacity? Can I do partial charges everyday when I leave work?

Ex. I roam at work and it kills my battery by the end of the day, because I need to keep data open (mostly). And I am not In one place at work, I'm all over the building. Can I partially charge in the car for 30 minutes or less everyday on my way to my next activity?

I'm not an expert on batteries, but I know a little. I can't imagine it causing any issues if you charge it for 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there just to keep it from dying. I'm coming from an iPhone and there's been many times I would charge it for a short time just to keep from dying and I never had an issue.

Reactions: capitoldog
Upvote 0
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

Reactions: capitoldog
Upvote 0
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones