• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery usage after Oreo Update

Jeff247

Dec 8, 2017
Today my battery went from a 100% down 2% in 6 hours. It has the Oreo update from March 30. That's the only thing different. It was great before that and now it sucks. Any way of telling what drained at? Maintenance was at 99% and the battery was optimized. I didn't use it very much during that 6 hours. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you cleared the cache since the Oreo update? A complete reset and reloading of apps has been an accepted practice in the past after receiving an operating system change. Not necessarily needed anymore with a complete cache cleaning and selective app data clean.

I clear the data cache almost daily. For my last problem with the talk to text I wiped partition cache. They both still suck! Thanks

Upvote 0
Perhaps you have a rogue app or two that needs updating thats causing the drain. Usually with major updates like this, there will be some increased use of battery , but should equalize itself in a day or so.

Look in you battery app—what are the major battery users that apps lists?

OP, whats your carrier? And I ASSume you are not rooted (just want to make sure).

Oreo has been out for a while and it there was an issue with major battery concerns, i think more people would post about this.

Maybe try NOT clearing cache daily and see if that helps...

Reactions: kennethalee88
Upvote 0
Have you cleared the cache since the Oreo update? A complete reset and reloading of apps has been an accepted practice in the past after receiving an operating system change. Not necessarily needed anymore with a complete cache cleaning and selective app data clean.

I clear the cache almost daily. For my last problem with the talk to text I wiped partition cache. They both still suck!

Upvote 0
Hello
I have the same problem after update to Oreo. I got the update on apr 8 or 9. Since then, I have to recharge my phone at least twice during the day, and yesterday, my battery went from 99% to 50% in 5 hours.
After that, I wiped the partition cache, and have seen a little improvement in battery life (it drained 20% during night), but still way more than before the oreo update.
Is there any solution to this?
thanks

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi Guy's

i have almost same problem. High battery drain after oreo update, 30-40% in 6h without use.

Found out that android system / beaming service cause high wifi traffic, around 2-3Mbit the whole time.

Did a factory reset, wipe cache, no positive results yet.

Software is all original i never did any custom roms or root access.

Should i try to flash it with official firmware?

It's a Note8 Duos

Thanks for your comments.

br gnueg0r

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Hi Guy's

i have almost same problem. High battery drain after oreo update, 30-40% in 6h without use.

Found out that android system / beaming service cause high wifi traffic, around 2-3Mbit the whole time.

Did a factory reset, wipe cache, no positive results yet.

Software is all original i never did any custom roms or root access.

Should i try to flash it with official firmware?

It's a Note8 Duos

Thanks for your comments.

br gnueg0r

Update:

-Flashed back to 7.1.1 -> same problem
-visited mum today, asked for wifi password - problem gone
-restarted complete ubiquiti network managment at home - problem gone

not sure how I came into this situation, but what i know for sure, it started with oreo update : (

br

Upvote 0
After updating to Oreo, my battery has drained quite a bit while not using my phone. Screen on time is okay, but when in my pocket (even with airplane mode on), Android System kills the battery. It's not horrible, but much worse than before the update, especially because I barely use the screen during the day and don't have many background-intensive apps (no snapchat, Facebook, etc).

Now, if I click on Android System, I have the option to turn off "Allow Background Activity". However, I'm scared to do this-- will that affect the things I need at all?

Screenshot_20180508-225837_Settings.jpg
Screenshot_20180508-230131_Settings.jpg
Will there be problems if I turn off the "allow background activity" for Android system? Are there other ways to stop the battery drain?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones