• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Been out of the game too long

syi

Android Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011
oregon
My first 2 phones were both rooted, HTC Evo and HTC Evo 4G, my third phone, LG G2, wasn't rooted because I switched to Linux for a few years and didn't want to rick running root under wine or anything else iffy.

But now. I'm totally fed up with the bloat, being stuck in the past and Having to reset every few months. I need a new phone and I thought I'd talk to the rooting community to get a nice baseline. I want to know what my device will be like after it's rooted and compare a few.

Right now I don't have a whole hell of a lot of must have features and I'm sure that a decent rom can or could fix/give those features. The only features I know I have to have are tap to wake and swipe controls for brightness. I'm not huge on taking pictures or video, and I'm not an audiophile by any means. Primary concerns are storage, expandable storage, battery capacity and life expectancy. I'd prefer no gimmicks, such as notches and edge-less screens, MUST HAVE a headphone jack. I play a few games on my phone and take them a little too seriously to let my finger slip off an edge-less screen. My first thought was to grab a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 but I've been reading up that it's got some issues. Is it worth it's price tag after being rooted? is it too big like the original note? What about the LG V30? I like my G2 a lot and having a nicer version of it sounds pretty good to me. does it have any serious drawbacks aside from the headphone jack placement? is wireless charging all it's cracked up to be? I think Huwaeii and One Plus are out right from the git go after all of the bad news I've heard about them the last 2 years. it would take some serious convincing. HTC phones were good to me at the time, but I have no idea where they've gone in the 5+ years I've been away from them.

My first 2 phones were both rooted, HTC Evo and HTC Evo 4G, my third phone, LG G2, wasn't rooted because I switched to Linux for a few years and didn't want to rick running root under wine or anything else iffy.

But now. I'm totally fed up with the bloat, being stuck in the past and Having to reset every few months. I need a new phone and I thought I'd talk to the rooting community to get a nice baseline. I want to know what my device will be like after it's rooted and compare a few.

Right now I don't have a whole hell of a lot of must have features and I'm sure that a decent rom can or could fix/give those features. The only features I know I have to have are tap to wake and swipe controls for brightness. I'm not huge on taking pictures or video, and I'm not an audiophile by any means. Primary concerns are storage, expandable storage, battery capacity and life expectancy. I'd prefer no gimmicks, such as notches and edge-less screens, MUST HAVE a headphone jack. I play a few games on my phone and take them a little too seriously to let my finger slip off an edge-less screen. My first thought was to grab a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 but I've been reading up that it's got some issues. Is it worth it's price tag after being rooted? is it too big like the original note? What about the LG V30? I like my G2 a lot and having a nicer version of it sounds pretty good to me. does it have any serious drawbacks aside from the headphone jack placement? is wireless charging all it's cracked up to be? I think Huwaeii and One Plus are out right from the git go after all of the bad news I've heard about them the last 2 years. it would take some serious convincing. HTC phones were good to me at the time, but I have no idea where they've gone in the 5+ years I've been away from them.

I think the Galaxy Note 8 is aright for rooting and custom ROMs etc., as long as it's a non-USA Exynos variant, same with Galaxy S8.

As for the LGs and HTCs, I don't know about those, never seen them.

Upvote 0
I don't know LG's very well. HTC are easy to root (can do it perfectly simply using Linux too - probably easier than Windows as you don't have the driver hassle), but they have joined the "no headphone jack" crowd which may not suit, and with the decline in sales they probably don't have as much development going on as before (though I have the impression that's true generally).

OnePlus are amongst the most root-friendly manufacturers these days, though you don't get expandable storage with them. Huawei have announced that they are withdrawing their bootloader unlocking tools, so would be a poor choice for someone interested in root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones