• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best Android for wifi

What is the best phone for Wifi (I just want to use it in public places with hotspots/restaurants)?
1) Which is compatible with MagicJack.
2) Doesn't require a carrier.
3) If possible: Unlockable, in case I ever want to add a carrier to it. If possible without buying a code.

So far, the best one I found was the HTC Droid Incredible. Is it what I should be looking for?
Any others?

Thanks

The Droid Incredible hasn't been made in very long time and would only work on Verizon.

Wifi is not difficult.

Do you have any other selection criteria to narrow it down?

And you don't buy unlock codes for unlocked phones.

I'm looking mostly for used phones, so they will be locked by default :\

New phones are usually paired with a carrier or "minutes plan". I just want a good phone for wifi voip with MagicJack app at home and out in the city. I saw that the HTC Droid Incredible is one of the best for creating a hotspot (which I won't need to do) and doesn't require a key to unlock.

I based my wifi stats from:
http://www.talkandroid.com/15651-which-android-phone-is-the-best-wifi-hotspot-find-out-now/

You've based your opinion on an article from August 2010 - so long as that works for you and you're aware of the date limitation, ok.

Anyway, used and new have nothing to do with carrier locking but I don't want to argue about it, you've got your mind made up. You'll find out when the time comes that it's only going to work on Verizon towers.

The DINC (Droid Incredible) had a lot of fans so I'm sure you'll be fine, especially as they ought to be close to free by now.

Good luck and enjoy your phone.

I haven't made up my mind...

I'm looking for any android phone that would work that can be bought used (not too expensively) and can go with most Canadian carriers. The more choices the better.

OK, so, that so-called Hotspot test didn't tell you what you think it did. Hotspot quality is not wifi quality, and I seriously question their conclusions back then because except for comparing the DX and the DINC, they were comparing carriers more than phones.

Magic Jack is rated to work with Android 2.3 on up.

I'd pick a newer phone than 2010 to ensure it's at at least that level.

Most any Android will do a great job for what you want.

If you think that you might like to try Rogers in the future, look for a used AT&T or Rogers phone. Or a Nexus.

Wifi calling is pretty simple, most phones have really decent wifi performance.

OK, so, that so-called Hotspot test didn't tell you what you think it did. Hotspot quality is not wifi quality, and I seriously question their conclusions back then because except for comparing the DX and the DINC, they were comparing carriers more than phones.

Magic Jack is rated to work with Android 2.3 on up.

I'd pick a newer phone than 2010 to ensure it's at at least that level.

Most any Android will do a great job for what you want.

If you think that you might like to try Rogers in the future, look for a used AT&T or Rogers phone. Or a Nexus.

Wifi calling is pretty simple, most phones have really decent wifi performance.

Sweet thanks for the info. Feel free to add more info, I'm not a rash consumer to buy something within the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom