• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best language to develop Android app

Hi!

I would like to develop an Android app and I would like to know which are the best tools and languages to start with, at the present moment.

I've some knowledge of Java, and some time ago I have done some basic things with Android Studio but since this area is changing so fast and since there is a myriad of technologies/languages involved in app development (Node.js, Javascript, Angular, React, and so on) I'm somehow lost on where to start?

Can someone tell me what to look first?

Thank you.

Hi!

Can someone tell me what to look first?

Yes. Start here https://androidforums.com/threads/please-read-me-before-posting.987318/

If you want to do Android app development, learn Java. The other language you may want to become familiar with is Kotlin. That language isn't any better than Java, but Google would like you to use it because, well they had a bit of a falling out with Oracle over Java. They're encouraging developers to go down the Kotlin route now for developing apps.

Those other technologies you mentioned (Angular, React etc) are nothing to do with Android app development. They are client side web technologies. Super interesting and very clever, but they have no use in developing a native Android app.

And a warning here, if you do get into studying Angular/React, be prepared to go down a very deep rabbit hole, open up a can of worms (you get the picture). They are very smart, and powerful frameworks, but you must invest a lot of time to learn them. Very worthwhile learning though, I might add, if you are a web app developer.

Thank you for the feedback LV426.

What about the rise of Fuchsia? Would it be worthwhile to learn now how to develop an app for Android?

You can't use Fuschia yet because Google haven't release it :)
It's Google's next gen cross platform O/S. Will it supersede Android? Who knows, but it will have Google's weight behind it. Fact is though, there's an awful lot of Android Java code out there, so that keeps us developers in jobs for now.
Depends what your motivation is? If you want to equip yourself with skills that make you attractive to potential employers, learn what is most popular. That usually coincides with the stuff that's most interesting, so everyone's happy :D

@LV246 do you see much chance of Java being dropped entirely in the future, given the situation, or do you think they'll continue to support it for the longer haul?

@LV246 do you see much chance of Java being dropped entirely in the future, given the situation, or do you think they'll continue to support it for the longer haul?

Good question. I think Google will continue to support Java, I doubt it will be dropped entirely. but my feeling is that going forward, developers will continue to be weaned off Java, in favour of Kotlin. There will be less technical documentation and support for Java as a development language for Android.

Well i totally agree with keeping it simple.
It's possible to do that with Java ;)

As far as I am concerned, java and javascript are the most common programming languages for applications. In addition, many experts have already been able to learn it well, and they will not have any problems during their work.

Java it is the official Android development language maintained by Android Studio and is the foundation for learning Kotlin.

In general, when disputes begin about which is better, Java or Kotlin, you should remember that Kotlin is a wrapper over Java. To understand the Kotlin documentation and get help with the Android mobile app development process, you need to know Java.

Back
Top Bottom