• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Way Of Putting Music Onto Phone

Just got the new Xperia Z and since my iPod has recently messed up, I was thinking of using my phone as my music player too.

What's the best way of getting music and playlists onto phone. Just drag my music collection onto it and setup playlists on the Walkman app or could I use something like Winamp to organise playlist on the pc and then move everything across to phone? If using Winamp, would I need to download Winamp app or could I just transfer that the music the Walkman music player?

Also, am I right in saying if I use Winamp I can use that to sync to iPod if I end up going back to that and if so how easy is it to sync?

Are these just music players similar to winamp?

Another wee thing about the Xperia Z. Im sure when i got it a few days ago I could display 'Sim Contacts'. That doesnt seem to be an option now. I lost some contacts somehow when I put sim into phone so now Im starting to add them back on to the phone, I want to check up they are being backed up to sim.

Upvote 0
Doubletwist is an app for your PC, iSyncr is an app you install on your phone. It looks as though, it's an audio player too.

Not sure about the SIM contacts (I don't have the phone yet), but on all of my other devices, I've an option to view different types of contacts via the dialer/people app menu. Is there a similar option for you?

Upvote 0
Had a look at your suggestions and gonna give DoubleTwist a shot. Can get an android app aswell and can sync via wi-fi if you get air sync. Looks just like what i need so thanks for the suggestion.

As for the contact, there is a filter where you can choose which contacts to view.....Local Contacts, Facebook, Google Contacts but no Sim contacts. Am almost 100% certain it was there when i was setting it up! Theres another question infact, how do I backup contacts to google? Any ideas for that too?

Edit : Dont think there is a function to just view sim contacts. Imported them and gave me option to import to Local Contacts or Google Account. Imported to Google so that should be sorted. I presume this means when i change phone next time, these numbers will be backed up not only on sim but in my google account.

Upvote 0
Is there an option to export to csv in your people app? You can export to csv, copy to your PC, then import to your google account via a web browser.

Open the contacts tab in Gmail, select more, import, then select the csv file and it will import the csv file. Sync your phone and the contacts should pull themselves down (it might take a while though).

Reactions: Barney McGrew
Upvote 0
Doubletwist is ideal. Ive still got the ipod which will probaby use in docking station as only real problem is loose connection in headphone socket. This will allow me to keep the ipod and phone up to date and have exact same playlists on both with no hassle.

As an aside, just been playing about with phone and the option to have Sim Contacts has reappeared.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones