• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bizarre Android Auto Issue

timm9

Feb 19, 2010
Sierras, CA
www.skibear.com
I have been pulling my hair out trying to resolve this issue with no luck.

I currently carry two cell phones; one a Google Pixel XL, and the other a Google Pixel2 XL. Both devices are running 8.1 OS and both have an identical installed app list. If I attempt to connect the Pixel XL (via USB cable) the Android Auto Head Unit (Pioneer AVH-3300NEX) Android Auto launches rather quickly. I have the same experience in another vehicle with a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX. When connecting the Pixel XL via USB AA launches and is functional. If I attempt to connect the Pixel2 XL via the USB cable to the Pioneer AVH-3300NEX, Android Auto never launches and will not let me AUX or Bluetooth music, etc. I do notice a ‘flash’ on the screen like it is attempting to launch but does not. If I attempt to connect the Pixel2 XL to the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX it may after driving for 10 minutes launch and become functional. It may also display a message indicating that I should stop the vehicle and check the connection on the phone.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the apps multiple times with no luck. I have done 3 FDR’s on the Pixel2 XL with the same results. I have also swapped out the sims cards and the issue stayed with the Pixel2 XL and did not follow the sims card. I have also updated the firmware on both units without success. I have been on the phone with Google Tech Support and while they are friendly and prompt to reply, there is to date no solution. Considering that both Pixels are identical excluding the chipset I keep coming back to the Pixel2 XL being defective.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks!

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions.

I have tried USB Debugging without success.

This has been going on for almost two months so I'm going to try Google Tech Support one last time and then ask for a replacement. This is the first device I have purchased directly from Google so it will be interesting to see how they respond...

Thanks again for the assistance!

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Think twice about purchasing directly from Google. After spending most of my afternoon either on-line in chat mode, or on the phone with Google, they are now telling me that this is not a warranty issue and to contact the app developer. The same developer that was contacted two weeks ago and evidently didn't feel the need to respond. With identical devices and one functioning and the other not functioning how do they blame the application? Even after requesting the issue be escalated there is no options and no resolution. In hindsight sight purchasing from Google was a huge mistake, and one that I will not make again. I guess when you are that big you don't really care about one unhappy customer. I'm a device junky but will NEVER purchase anything from Google again. Dear Google, you may have my $1,000 but you have bought yourselves 100 times that in bad PR. Epic fail!

Upvote 0
It may also display a message indicating that I should stop the vehicle and check the connection on the phone.

This to me screams either flaky cable or flaky USB port. Do you have any USB connection issues with the 2XL with other devices like a PC or an OTG device? Have you tried a different cable or cleaning the USB port?

You might want to see if you can launch AA with a different vehicle/head unit. Go to a car dealer, ask to test drive an AA compatible car and nonchalantly plug in your phone. ;)

Upvote 0
lunatic59,

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. Unfortunately I went down that road a month ago and pulled the head unit out and tested the cables and 'wiggled' the USB port with no luck. As noted above. I have a Pixel XL as well that is incidental (apps, etc.) to the Pixel2 XL with the exception of the chipset and work flawlessly in all vehicles. It's only the Pixel 2 XL that is the issue regardless of the vehicle.

Upvote 0
lunatic59,

Thank you again for your excellent suggestions. I apologize as I should have included that a few weeks ago I removed the head unit and tried a brand new OEM (Pioneer) Cable with the same results. I have also 'wiggled' the USB cable at the Pixel2 XL port and head unit without any issue. The thing that is crazy is that the Pixel XL (identical apps, etc.) works flawlessly in all three vehicles with Pioneer NEX head unit(s) and launches immediately. My Wife has a Pixel XL as well and it connects without issue to all three vehicles as well.

Reactions: Justice16
Upvote 0
lunatic59, Thank you again for your response.

Yes. The Pixel 2XL does connect via USB to my PC. I did so late yesterday in order to transfer my iTunes music to the Pixel 2XL via iSyncer without issue. The current generation of AA Head Units now only have 1 USB port so I'm abandoning the iPod and moving my music to the Pixel 2XL so I can still NAVI, SMS, and listen to music at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're not crazy.

I have the 3300NEX and a Pixel2XL and had the same exact issue. Neither Pioneer or Google support was able to figure it out.

While the USB connection is perfect, my phone used to charge on an off repeatedly which lead me to believe that the two devices have communication issues.

I formatted my phone. Tried different OSes. Flashed the firmware on my NEX3300. Swapped USB cables. Nothing worked.

It's was quite literally the only issue I have with the phone and the stereo. All other Android phones and iPhones connected without issue.

However, Android PIE and the 8.35 firmware update seem to be playing well together for the very first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones