• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Block Images in Play Store app

RedFiero88

Lurker
Hey guys!

Is there any way to block app preview images from loading in the Play Store app? Obviously this will have to be done using root. I was thinking possibly at the host file, but I'm not sure what domains I could block without losing ALL play store functionality. I have a rooted Motorola Triumph running CM7.

Lets assume hypothetically I need to block these images to minimize bandwidth usage :)

I really appreciate the help, you guys rock!!!

Hey RedFiero88, welcome to Android Forums. My oldest daughter's first auto was a Fiero.
Good looking car. As for your blocking the Play Store app images...I suggest you check with the users of your Triumph that have rooted as well for advice. Below is a link to the root area for your Triumph. Just ask in there. The friendly users there will help you out.
Best of luck and thanks for joining our ranks,
Triumph - All Things Root - Android Forums

Hi RedFiero88, first, welcome to Android Forums.

As far as blocking images from the Play store, that'd likely take a bit of work. The only way I can think to do it would be to modify the hosts file and add whatever domain google is using to host those pictures to it similar to this:

Code:
images.play.google.com    127.0.0.1
the only problem is, it'll likely cause all sorts of issues. Best case issues would be *no* (as in zero) images from that domain will load (likely includes all images not directly in the Play Store app file) and worse case would be that either the Play store would stop working all together (all data blocked) or worse worse would be no google at all.

Think of the errors!! Hmmm.... As I re-read this post, I notice that you already thought of all these host issues...
----

What about this ... if you installed all apps from a PC web browser using the web version of the play store... then you'd only get the apk sent your way, no images.

Or you could try one of those data monitor apps... I know a rom I was using several months ago had one built in...

Hey, I realize that my post was very little help, but I hope that either it helped a tiny bit or that someone else will come along who knows more.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, welcome to the site!
-9to5

Back
Top Bottom