• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Alarm Clock App

I am trying to create a Bluetooth alarm clock and I'm using Arduino as my receiver to make what I need to happen when the alarm goes off, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I have tried merging an Android alarm clock app and an Arduino Bluetooth LED Controller app together and I have tried to find an already completed Bluetooth Alarm Clock app for Arduino, but have had no luck so far. I found a complete bluetooth alarm clock app here but can't figure out how to use it and I don't know enough about how it works to figure it out. Please let me know if you know of any existing apps or what I'm doing wrong. I can upload what I have for the first solution if I need to.

Java:
public class MainActivity extends AppCompatActivity {

public static final java.lang.String arduinoModuleName = "HC-05";
    private int toastDuration = Toast.LENGTH_LONG;

public BluetoothDevice queryDevices(java.lang.String deviceToFind, BluetoothAdapter btAdapter){
        Set<BluetoothDevice> pairedDevices = btAdapter.getBondedDevices();

boolean isAMatchingDevice = false;
        BluetoothDevice matchingDevice = null;

Context context = getApplicationContext(); //for Toast
        Toast toast = Toast.makeText(context,"Found Arduino Module in Paired Devices", toastDuration);

if (pairedDevices.size() > 0) {
            // There are paired devices. Get the name and address of each paired device.

for (BluetoothDevice device : pairedDevices) {
                String deviceName = device.getName();
                String deviceHardwareAddress = device.getAddress(); // MAC address

if (deviceName.equals(deviceToFind)) {
                    isAMatchingDevice = true;
                    matchingDevice = device;
                }
            }

}

if(!isAMatchingDevice){
            toast = Toast.makeText(context, "No paired devices found", toastDuration);
            toast.show();
        }

return matchingDevice;

}

@Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.activity_main);

BluetoothAdapter mBluetoothAdapter = BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();
        BluetoothDevice arduinoModule;
        final byte[] testBytes = {6};

if (!mBluetoothAdapter.isEnabled()) { //if bluetooth isn't enabled, enable it
            Intent enableBtIntent = new Intent(BluetoothAdapter.ACTION_REQUEST_ENABLE);
            startActivityForResult(enableBtIntent, 1);
        }

arduinoModule = queryDevices(arduinoModuleName, mBluetoothAdapter); //set arduinoModule device to device with name "HC-05"
        ParcelUuid [] uuid = arduinoModule.getUuids();

Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Found arduino module: " + arduinoModule + "\n");
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Device name: " + arduinoModule.getName());
//        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "UUID of remote device: " + uuid[0].getUuid());
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "UUIDs: " + uuid);
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Bluetooth Class: " + arduinoModule.getBluetoothClass());
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Device bond state: " + arduinoModule.getBondState());
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "");

Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Creating new socket to connect");
        final ConnectThread newThread = new ConnectThread(arduinoModule);
        Log.d("Eren-onCreate", "Connecting Socket");
        newThread.run();
        final ConnectedThread btThread = newThread.getConnection();

Context context = getApplicationContext(); //for Toast
        Toast toast = Toast.makeText(context,"Connected to Bluetooth Module...", toastDuration);
        toast.show();

//Button control to manipulate thread connection

final Button btn = (Button)findViewById(R.id.btn1);
        btn.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {
            public void onClick(View v) {
                btThread.write(testBytes);
            }
        });

}

}

Your question is quite broad to answer. Maybe you could break it down into more specific issues?
What happened when you tried to build the Github alarm clock project?

Your question is quite broad to answer. Maybe you could break it down into more specific issues?
What happened when you tried to build the Github alarm clock project?

I have contacted the developer of this app and discovered that this app was not really what I was looking for, which is why it wasn't working for me. I have figured out the issue with my other try to solve the problem and the app is now working.

Back
Top Bottom