• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth speaker for Moto G4 Play phone

I'm not sure I communicated my question correctly. I realized while I was in my car that I can talk to others in my car without my headset because I have bluetooth in my car. Because I don't know when I will replace my cellphone, I thought that if I could listen through bluetooth in the car, maybe I can listen through bluetooth speaker in my house. The speaker in my cellphone is broken and have to use a headset to talk to others which I find annoying. I assume speakers are universal-will work with any android phone? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure I communicated my question correctly. I realized while I was in my car that I can talk to others in my car without my headset because I have bluetooth in my car. Because I don't know when I will replace my cellphone, I thought that if I could listen through bluetooth in the car, maybe I can listen through bluetooth speaker in my house. The speaker in my cellphone is broken and have to use a headset to talk to others which I find annoying. I assume speakers are universal-will work with any android phone? Thanks!

While all Bluetooth speakers can play music from your Android phone, not all of them can do phone calls from your Android phone. And it sounds the particular Bluetooth speaker you've got in the house is one that doesn't do phone calls, and is music only.

This "S01" speaker can't do phone calls from my Android phone...
nophone.jpg

...which came from an education supplier and was intended for classroom use.

While this "S20" speaker can do phone calls from my Android phone...
phone.jpg

...and is one of these...
http://www.weiking.cn/default.asp?id=3967

One has Phone Audio support while the other does not.

There's two separate Bluetooth profiles here. HeadSet Profile (HSP), which is used for phone calls and is mono, and the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) which is used for music etc, and is high quality stereo. And not all Bluetooth speakers support the former (HSP) one. You'd need to check the speaker manufacturer's instructions and specs for this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While all Bluetooth speakers can play music from your Android phone, not all of them can do phone calls from your Android phone. And it sounds the particular Bluetooth speaker you've got in the house is one that doesn't do phone calls, and is music only.

This "S01" speaker can't do phone calls from my Android phone...
View attachment 127315

...while this "S20" speaker can do phone calls from my Android phone...
View attachment 127316

One has Phone Audio support while the other does not.

There's two separate Bluetooth profiles here. HeadSet Profile (HSP), which is used for phone calls and is mono, and the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) which is used for music etc, and is high quality stereo. And not all Bluetooth speakers support the former (HSP) one. You'd need to check the speaker manufacturer's instructions and specs for this.

Upvote 0
I don't have a bluetooth speaker in my house-was inquiring as to whether a bluetooth speaker would allow me to make and receive phone calls. I am not as tech savvy as younger people-this is why I ask questions on forums. Your response went over my head!

Yes a Bluetooth speaker should allow you to make phone calls, but what I was saying that not all of them do. And so if you're buying a BT speaker, this is something you'd have to check. Specifically you're looking for "HSP" or "Headset Profile" or "Phone Audio" in the specs or manual.

This BT speaker allows me to make and receive phone calls....
IMG_20180101_120035.jpg

This BT speaker does NOT allow me to make and receive phone calls...
IMG_20180101_120139.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones