• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps bookmark/shortcut icons

This is a Web Developer question.
I have a general android question. On iPhone, when you add a shortcut/app button of a website onto the main screen (not in the browser), you can create a file called apple-touch-icon.png and place it in the root folder of your website. Then when you look at the iPhone app buttons, and find your shortcut button, it shows your icon.

one way:
www.website.com/favicon.ico or /apple-touch-icon.png

another way:
...<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/apple-touch-icon.png />
...</head>

Is there a way to do this for the android os? Currently on my android (htc incredible), when I create a bookmark for my website, and add it to one of my home screens, it shows the favicon.ico very small in the bottom left and then the generic website bookmark icon.

I am hoping someone out there has a solution for this, I have been interested in this for some time.

I'd be interested in any solutions to this also, i've been searching for ages and it seems like a pretty fundamental feature to include...

I have heard that android 2.1 onwards might support the same iPhone icons, eg <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/apple-touch-icon.png />

but im running android 1.6 on an HTC Hero and cannot upgrade my OS (why the hell not?)

Back
Top Bottom