• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

boost lollipop update for S5?

np6s4x

Currently my phone downloading a massive 898MB update, guessing it's lollipop by the size, don't think i want to install it yet, but interesting anyways. And nice to see us getting the update the same time as sprint (if it is that)

If you do install it let us know how it goes, and if there are any bugs.

And I hope you were able to download it on WiFi :)

I decided to install it even though i knew id probably regret it. I'll add a more proper review later but i'd say it's very much in beta still, i've used custom roms more stable then this. I like the new features, but it likes to idle on the home screen hot enough to probably roast something. Pretty bad when you can have your hand about an inch above the screen and you can feel the heat coming from it. Kind hate to know hot it would get if i tried to do anything with it besides email.

Last edited:
ok more:

didn't take too long to download due to having 60mbit home internet, but still a good while. the install itself didn't take to long, the first boot "optimizing apps" took much longer, said a had 344(!?!?) to do (how many background app does this phone have? I know I've only installed a fraction of that). First boot was quite laggy and eventually the screen fully locked up even though the buttons still made the drop noise and vibrated, said it needed to update google play services (why didn't the version needed for 5.0 comes with it?). After a battery pull the second boot was bit smoother for a little while, still needed the google play services update (didn't make it this time either) though speed got worse and worse to the point where apps hanged the OS (when a pop up about com.android.system not responding appears it's probably dead). During the third boot play services finally manages to install, and has since ran pretty stable no major crashes since.

advice: even after it's done booting the first time let it be till google play services fully updates (or the phone crashes) trying to not use the phone at all. Might have less trouble that way.

good: love the new lock screen, much better then kitkat, didn't care for the fact that Samsung completely changed it from stock to something rather useless. I like being able to see my notifications on the lock screen and even scroll through them with it locked (A first? don't remember even being able to access notifications on any past phone with any type of security on. love the new Recent apps screen so much better then anything I've seen before, alos very fliud and fast when moving through them. love the bouncey non-static card like nature of the notifications, rather then being a dull single colored screen, these act like a stack of cards when you have a bunch. Samsung wise things are much brighter, the black of the settings menu is replaced with white. The priority sound, calls and notifications looks rather interesting.

so while yes, it's not exactly ready for the mainstream currently i'd say, I do fell like once the kinks are worked out (hopefully) this will be much better then kitkat.

worth it to install now? maybe, I'd say it it's very much YMMV, it might work good for you it might be a total pain. If you want something rock-solid that works, I'd say wait cause this isn't yet. If you want something that is I think better then 4.4 and don't mind a few (or maybe many) issues, then it might be worth it.

(I think this might be the longest post I've ever written on here)

Last edited:
bug: i have noticed that for whatever reason the red led used for the heart rate monitor on the back of the phone likes to activate at will whenever something gets near it, which in turn if left on makes the phone quite toasty it seems. possible fix: use S health to check your heart rate. After the test is done and sucessful light no long comes on. currently not sure if it's broken at boot or if an app breaks it but happened on both 3rd and 4th boots.

edit: 1 app that for sure breaks it is the stock camera, it becomes enabled while using the app and then doesn't disable till you check your heart rate with S Health

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...to-disable-t2962420/post57312511#post57312511

seems that just having google fit installed (i haven't opened it even once since installing lollipop, though we know anything google is always running, even if never used, and will continue to run even after a force quit) causes the sensor light to become enabled, so i uninstalled, ran a heart rate scan, and then rebooted. so far nothing, seemed that any apps that used google was causing the bug to re-spawn (i don't think i need the heart rate sensor light on while in the play store).

Last edited:
last update: been quite stable since with no major issues, not even minor ones really. For the first time in a while screen is actually my biggest battery sucker which is nice to see, since "android system" has been quite the battery hog lately, even back in 4.4.. , I think that may have more to do with google fit then the upgrade though, it was probably unknowing sucking battery back in 4.4.4 too.

On the good side of things I quite love the way it does music on the lock screen now. Rather then the generic 3 buttons with album art, instead it shows that app's widget (?) on the lock screen so you can control the app it's way without having to unlock the phone. Helpful when using radio apps that don't need next and previous buttons.

I'm quite happy with the 5.0 update and find it much better then 4.4.4, which I though was actually rather lacking software wise compared to my previous phone that also had kitkat. After a rather iffy start i'm glad i did the upgrade, at this point i wouldn't want to go back to kitkat.

bonus: pressy works better in 5.0 then 4.4! (don't know how many actually have one but worth a mention)

So now I would say the upgrade is totally worth it, you just gotta get through the google play services mess right after the upgrade, then you should be home free! (assuming you don't have any bad apps like google fit installed)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom