• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought Galaxy S5 in China...How to Access Google

rally911t

Lurker
Oct 25, 2014
Hi Guys,

I recently bought the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G9008W) in China. After changing the language settings and leaving China (to get out from behind the firewall), I still cannot access google services.

Does anyone know how to change the OS from Kitkat 4.4.2 Chinese to regular Kitkat 4.4.2? Is it possible on this model phone? Is it just a root then flash ROM, or is it something more complicated?

Please help.

I am not talking about changing the language settings, as I already see it in English.

The problem is that Google and the Chinese Gov have issues, and thus newer phones using android OS sold in China come with google play services blocked.

Thus, I am looking at ways to either root the phone or somehow find a ROM that works with the model SM-G9008W. I haven't been able to yet.

Upvote 0
I understood that China gov was blocking Google Services on an internet level. If that is true, and if I personally were in China with my Verizon phone and using roaming mode.... would I also NOT be able to access Google Services there?

In my example, I would not be using a Chinese carrier's SIM card, I would be using my own SIM from Verizon and using VZW's International Roaming Plan.

Even with my example, my phone would still have to use a local Chinese carrier, and that carrier would have to block Google because of the Chinese government orders.

maybe I'm not totally understanding the issue, but it seems to me, that even if you were trying to use "my phone" assuming I lent it to you, that you are still unable to use Google.

Upvote 0
are you sure that your phone is a genuine samsung device? There have been reports of fake Samsung devices that don't run all the google services
Yeah. Something the op needs to make sure of. You can easily end up with a fake phone if you travel to China. Something that may seem like a great price, but you end up with a substandard copy.

Upvote 0
It is a real legit phone, bought it at the Samsung store and no indications it is fake.

That being said, it is not an internet issue, since I live in Singapore. It has something to do with the OS 4.4.2 Chinese that automatically blocks Google Services.

Does anyone know of a custom ROM for the SM-G9008W? I haven't been able to find one for this exact model.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones