• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bought Note 5 on eBay - real or fake?

Hello everyone,

After using Windows phone for several years I decided to switch back to Android and picked up a used Note 5 from eBay. But I am not 100% sure if this is a real Note 5 or a clone/fake one and need some advise.

The seller states that this is an unlocked Verizon/GSM model but does not reveal too much information in the listing or via PMs with me. He confirmed that this is a 64gb Verizon model and is in good condition, so I took a plunge and bought it. The phone should arrive some time this week or next week and I will get a better idea about it and will definitely return it if it is not real.

What seems strange to me is that there is no Verizon logo on the back side, only Samsung and Note 5. I thought that all phones that are Verizon-CDMA enabled should carry the Verizon brand on the back side, am I wrong?

Here the pictures of the phone I bought and the link to the auction from eBay. Any possible suggestions if this is a real Note 5? Thanks.

ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5-64-GB-Verizon/173037887860?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

1drv.ms/i/s!AqD3rPJ-BGf2nOp6w4XsUbOcs05GsQ

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 466
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 387
Hello everyone,

After using Windows phone for several years I decided to switch back to Android and picked up a used Note 5 from eBay. But I am not 100% sure if this is a real Note 5 or a clone/fake one and need some advise.

The seller states that this is an unlocked Verizon/GSM model but does not reveal too much information in the listing or via PMs with me. He confirmed that this is a 64gb Verizon model and is in good condition, so I took a plunge and bought it. The phone should arrive some time this week or next week and I will get a better idea about it and will definitely return it if it is not real.

What seems strange to me is that there is no Verizon logo on the back side, only Samsung and Note 5. I thought that all phones that are Verizon-CDMA enabled should carry the Verizon brand on the back side, am I wrong?

Here the pictures of the phone I bought and the link to the auction from eBay. Any possible suggestions if this is a real Note 5? Thanks.

ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-5-64-GB-Verizon/173037887860?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

To check whether a Samsung phone is original or fake, simply dial *#2663# and if it is real you will see a screen

If it is fake, the code will not execute

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180103-141450.jpg
    Screenshot_20180103-141450.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that once it arrives.

Based on the photos and the eBay listing I attached - any prognosis?

Yea, seems legit. The newer Galaxy phones aren't branded by the wireless provider. Also, if you have the IMEI number, you can look it up on an IMEI website and it should tell you if it's a valid IMEI for that specific phone. For example, if it comes up Huawei or some no name brand, I would be worried lol

Upvote 0
The phone arrived last week and it is in good condition overall with small marks on the front glass which are not really visible when the screen is on, only against the light at an angle.

This is a real Verizon one without doubt, I checked the IMEI and other information online and it proved the good status. It activated it without an issue too and it took the latest updates from Verizon.

Overall I am pretty glad that I bought this phone and moved out from windows phone platform which is gradually being phased out from the phone market. It has been a long way since I last had my Android based HTC Resound and switched to Nokia 929 later. Love the Android again! All my favorite apps dropped by Windows phone platform are fully working again and more! Great phone, pretty stable and intuitive interface. I wish the battery was removable to make it easier to put a fresh one when this one goes south, but I am sure it will be not too hard to heat up and remove the cover to replace it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
The phone arrived last week and it is in good condition overall with small marks on the front glass which are not really visible when the screen is on, only against the light at an angle.

This is a real Verizon one without doubt, I checked the IMEI and other information online and it proved the good status. It activated it without an issue too and it took the latest updates from Verizon.

Overall I am pretty glad that I bought this phone and moved out from windows phone platform which is gradually being phased out from the phone market. It has been a long way since I last had my Android based HTC Resound and switched to Nokia 929 later. Love the Android again! All my favorite apps dropped by Windows phone platform are fully working again and more! Great phone, pretty stable and intuitive interface. I wish the battery was removable to make it easier to put a fresh one when this one goes south, but I am sure it will be not too hard to heat up and remove the cover to replace it.

Thanks.

HI, after my Note 8 started to continually freeze I went back to a note 5 that I purchased on eBay. I got mine from a reseller in Brooklyn New York and have had no problems. I initially thought the phone might be a dud because it took approximately 5 minutes to turn on even when plugged into the charger. But it eventually came on and has been working fine. I have to do a system update about every other day it seems to get caught up. Definitely no freezing issues, and it didn't have any freezing issues before I traded it in for the Note 8 either. Glad I went back

Upvote 0
I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 from Ebay too. It was a Verizon phone now GSM unlocked. Sounds like the same guy (see attached screenshot). So far my phone works good except for 1 major problem. It disconnects from wifi automatically every minute. This is very frustrating. I dont know what else I'll find out as the days go by. Its advisable to test all features in the early stages and request for a return/refund as the case may be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones