• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calendar - storage location

Your Calendar data file is just some text, taking up a relatively tiny amount of storage space. Looking at an archived backup file of my Google Calendar file (covering about 14 years, going back to 2006 or so) it's only about 700 KB. That's a compressed file and opened up it's still under 1 MB in size. Text files are pretty minimal in size so you're going to be putting a lot of effort into saving almost nothing in storage space.

The storage size you're looking at is referring to the Calendar app, not your calendar data. That's a different situation. It sounds like what you want to do is move the Calendar app itself to a microSD card. Some apps allow you split them into being stored on both internal and card storage, and there are apps that enable you to move some apps to your card but I'd focus more on moving data (photos, videos, audio) than apps to a separate card. Others who do regularly move apps to a card will be more forthcoming.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Yes, that's correct it is the Calendar app. It's 62Mb in total, including 700K of data.
It's not the space saved, I want to save the data on the SD card as I back it up regularly and I'd like to backup the Calendar data too.
Like I said I can't see an option to change the location, even if I had to move the entire app to SD card that would be OK.

Upvote 0
What email service do you use?
Services like Gmail and Outlook allow you to sync your phone calendar to your online account.
And, just as an example, if you go to https://calendar.google.com and click on the gear icon in the top menubar there's the Settings menu that includes an Import/Export option. That way you'll have online account primary calendar, plus your phone and a backup in an Export file.

Upvote 0
Your email address will indicate what email service you use -- it will be something like xxzzz@gmail.com or xxzzz@yahoo.com so what is the part after the @ for your chosen email address?
That will be your email provider, and it's their online servers your computer (using Thunderbird, and its plugin) and phone (using Bluemail and Samsung Calendar) connect to when they sync with each other. Your online account is the server, your computer and your phone are clients synced to the server.
So your calendar is apparently synced between three places 1 - online (your email service), 2 - on your computer (Thunderbird), and 3 - on your phone (Samsung Calendar app)
If you want to have a back up somewhere, you can use Thunderbird and it has an Export feature:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/exporting-and-sharing-a-calendar

Reactions: MikeHunt555
Upvote 0
Thanks for the details.

I tried to sync my Samsung Calendar with a gmail account.
I pressed Sync and it said it had synced, but I can't see anything.

Then I saw a google page you linked to, saying I need an app to export it first.

I searched Playstore and found Calendar Import-Export (ics), but can't get that to export.
It seems to think I have 4 Samsung calendars, therefore won't let me select a calendar to export.

See the attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518-120017_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518-120017_Google Play Store.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 287
  • Screenshot_20200518-121345_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518-121345_Gallery.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Changing the location of the calendar database, even if it were possible (and it isn't) wouldn't help you as it will be stored as a small database rather than a portable format such as iCal.

Try installing Simple Calendar. This has import/export prominently in its settings, so as long as that can read your unsynched Samsung calendar (i.e. as long as that is not internal to the Samsung calendar app) it should be able to do what you want (I don't use an unsynched calendar, nor do I have a Samsung, so I can't test that).

Reactions: MikeHunt555
Upvote 0
Go into your Settings >> Apps menu, find the Samsung Calendar app entry and open that. Tap the Force stop button and then the Disable button. It's a pre-installed, system-level app (by Samsung) so you can't just uninstall it like an app that you install and want to remove. But if you at least Disable it, at that point it won't be running needlessly in the background.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones