• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cali guy living in Thailand-help me!

Hey!

Just lost my Nexus 1 here and and having my son in Orange Co, Calif get me an HTC Evo 4g.
My questions are, of the carriers, is any one better for converting to gsm/worldphone status? Sprint, At&T, Metropcs, Verizon???

I believe it has to be unlocked, rooted, and make sure it has a sim, but anything else?
There are shops all over so I guess they are well versed in this?
Does it matter if it has a bad ESN? For me here in Thai?

Would you recommend them to do anything else to the phone while they got it to make it super for here?

Appreciate any help and advice you all can give, pm me or send me an email-hockeyrick@hotmail.com

Rick

Hey Dan
so, no one else has an evo? So you mean HTC makes phones especially for certain carriers?
Thx for the info but will check, hard to imagine their manufacturing can accomodate various installation setups
thanks again

They all have something similar to the HTC EVO. AT&T has the HTC Inspire and Verizon has the HTC Thunderbolt. If you are not in a hurry for a phone and can wait, a new nexus phone is coming soon.

Upvote 0
Hey Dan
so, no one else has an evo? So you mean HTC makes phones especially for certain carriers?
Thx for the info but will check, hard to imagine their manufacturing can accomodate various installation setups
thanks again

there are other HTC phones that are similar to the EVO... for other carriers and GSM...

Desire HD is the the GSM version... and android.
you should be able to find it in your area...
of course these phones are 1 yr old and that makes them the best priced compared to new and more powerful versions out now (ex: EVO 3D and the Sensation)

you really need to find out which carrier you want to use first pertaining to coverage, support, and price.. and what they support.. GSM (SIM card) vs CDMA
then find the phones that match your needs and the carrier's.

picking the phone first .. has a huge potential to bite you in the ass!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones