• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call/Text Contact shortcuts

JLOB

Jan 30, 2011
I once was able to easily create specific call or text icons for some of my contacts. These were depicted on screen with the contact picture and either a phone or text icon superimposed. I don’t recall what level of Android, and/or what app I used to create them. I DO know that the icons have migrated each time my phones were updated and/or replaced. I (hopefully remembered to) include a screenshot.

I recently had to swap out my HTC One M9 for an unopened spare that I had. I wasn’t able (or didn’t know how) to just have all my apps automatically re-load. This caused a very lengthy multiple-upgrade process and then the manual installation of the apps. The call/text shortcuts didn’t make the transition. I have two questions.

First. Some of our common shortcuts still exist on my wife’s phone. Is there any way to extract those from her phone and install them on mine?

Next. Does anyone recognize this ability to create these and is there any way I can achieve it, either via an app or whatever?

Thanks for listening.
view

JLOB

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ZsR72ZAcdezHV4tlwMpjinhXl9sfvsa/view?usp=sharing

Hmmm.
I use Nova Prime for my launcher so it may look a tad different but this is what I get...
Long press to bring up the widget selector
Then I find the one for contacts and long press it
Then it allows me to select a contact and plops it on the home screen.
Yours doesn't do/have that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180718-154009.png
    Screenshot_20180718-154009.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20180718-154022.png
    Screenshot_20180718-154022.png
    735.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20180718-154452.jpg
    Screenshot_20180718-154452.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
Hi, try the following, it's how I’ve done it on my HTC M7, M9 and 10.

Follow Clementine's first step but then select ’Shortcuts', then select 'Direct Dial' for a calling shortcut or 'Direct Message' for a texting shortcut.

This should take you to your contact list, just tap the one you want and it will appear on your home screen. Repeat for each additional one.

Screenshot_20180718-203249.png Screenshot_20180718-202959.png Screenshot_20180718-203139.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Hi, try the following, it's how I’ve done it on my HTC M7, M9 and 10.

Follow Clementine's first step but then select ’Shortcuts', then select 'Direct Dial' for a calling shortcut or 'Direct Message' for a texting shortcut.

This should take you to your contact list, just tap the one you want and it will appear on your home screen. Repeat for each additional one.

View attachment 133918 View attachment 133920 View attachment 133923

That sounded like what I ONCE had. I don't HAVE a 'shortcut' option, although I DO have the HTC One M9. I wonder if it's a provider option. I'm on Verizon.
JLOB

Upvote 0
Hmmm.
I use Nova Prime for my launcher so it may look a tad different but this is what I get...
Long press to bring up the widget selector
Then I find the one for contacts and long press it
Then it allows me to select a contact and plops it on the home screen.
Yours doesn't do/have that?

That's EXACTLY what I want. I don't have the contacts widget though.

Upvote 0
That sounded like what I ONCE had. I don't HAVE a 'shortcut' option, although I DO have the HTC One M9. I wonder if it's a provider option. I'm on Verizon.
JLOB

Hi, I don't think it's a provider option as the only device I got direct from a provider was the M9. The M7 and the 10 were both bought unlocked from retail outlets. All three have been used on the EE network and kept with totally stock HTC software. That's not to say that a provider won't remove certain functions if they so desire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, I don't think it's a provider option as the only device I got direct from a provider was the M9. The M7 and the 10 were both bought unlocked from retail outlets. All three have been used on the EE network and kept with totally stock HTC software. That's not to say that a provider won't remove certain functions if they so desire.

Not sure if I could verify that with my provider, but I'm willing to wager that's what happened. Thanks for the input.
JLOB

Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones