• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling Dell Streak Owners!!

I have no issues about size, but then I wear allot of cargo pants/shorts and when I ride my motorcyle, it fits great inside my jacket pocket.

For trail riding or any activity that might cause harm, I would get a disposable phone that doesn't matter if it gets lost or broken, I sure don't want to take a phone that is going to cost $500 to replace on any activity that could be harmful to the device.

Upvote 0
Hello Dell streak 5 owners,

I'm using my DS 5 w/ Froyo was pre-installed, for 1 month now feel happy with it.
Using it to play my movie collection and listen to music, and browsing during my free time. But got a little problem to play movie with RMVB ext with Vital Player, movies was always jam but the sounds is ok.
someone have any suggest for a good RMVB player?

Upvote 0
I have had my Streak for 30 days now. It came with 1.6 but I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday and love it. I can now go online with it with usb tethering. I love the large clear screen! I find myself leaving my notebook home more and more now.

I got this mostly to show customers (and friends) my photography work I do:
Photography by Moskovita

I had an iPhone 3GS & Sony X10 before this and don't miss them at all. The touchscreen is very responsive and the resolution looks really great.

Just about everywhere I go, people ask what the heck I have and want to see it.

Overall - I really like it and this is a really the best combo size of phone/tablet.

Upvote 0
I have had my Streak for 30 days now. It came with 1.6 but I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday and love it. I can now go online with it with usb tethering. I love the large clear screen! I find myself leaving my notebook home more and more now.

I got this mostly to show customers (and friends) my photography work I do:
Photography by Moskovita

I had an iPhone 3GS & Sony X10 before this and don't miss them at all. The touchscreen is very responsive and the resolution looks really great.

Just about everywhere I go, people ask what the heck I have and want to see it.

Overall - I really like it and this is a really the best combo size of phone/tablet.

Id say Jack is bitten! Welcome to the club. I live by my DS5. Those are some excellent photos

Upvote 0
I hate it. Doesn't sync with either lap- or desk-top; Dell Sync keepsclosing on laptop and won't open on dt, despite hours on phine to very helpful Indian at Dell. SD card isn't even found by Desktop. I have had it a week, and had to take one back because the Dell tech guys decided it must be faulty. Reception of WiFi is poor, and phine volume at ear is pathetic - can't here a conversation in any but quiet location.
Seems to me to be a clear sign that Streak is not fit for purpose, and Android is of questionable quality.
Any thoughts?
Malcolm

Upvote 0
I hate it. Doesn't sync with either lap- or desk-top; Dell Sync keepsclosing on laptop and won't open on dt, despite hours on phine to very helpful Indian at Dell. SD card isn't even found by Desktop. I have had it a week, and had to take one back because the Dell tech guys decided it must be faulty. Reception of WiFi is poor, and phine volume at ear is pathetic - can't here a conversation in any but quiet location.
Seems to me to be a clear sign that Streak is not fit for purpose, and Android is of questionable quality.
Any thoughts?
Malcolm
Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here. Mine works perfectly and I use it heavily every day. ;)

Upvote 0
Any thoughts?
Malcolm

Tapping on USB storage to access the SD card works for me. But I think you're missing something. Android seems to be more suited to cloud syncing (Dropbox, Chrome to Phone, Google Music, OTA updates, etc.) while iOS is heavily dependent on its wired connection (at least so far). Each has its pluses and minuses.

As for the wifi reception, I think the antenna is on the earpiece side of the phone so don't do a death grip with your left hand in landscape mode.

I don't make a lot of calls but Streak seems fine for me. My Otterbox Commuter case may actually have helped by making it easy to find the earpiece hole. My Nokias still sound the best to me.

Upvote 0
I have used many Nokias, iPhone 3GS, 4, iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab. In March I bought the Dell Streak from eBay and this is by far the best mobile device ever! The screen size is optimal, great for surfing, videos and photos and yet mobile. The best thing is that it is also a phone, so I really don't need any other devices. I'm a music fanatic and the Streak serves well with my Sony Bt headphones and Ziisound D5 bt speaker. The sound is perfect. Here in Finland I am maybe one of the two other Streak users, so it really stands out from the Nokia-iPhone-Samsung mass.
In three months, the phone has crashed once, which is no worse than Apple's statistics in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Rico said: "No room for streak haters in this forum."
Jack58 said: "Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here"
I have had about 15 hours of phone link to Dell in India and even more with my computer on GoAssist, much not at my cost, only to learn that Dell Sync does not work any more, and will not do so. They are working on a solution, but even then they say that the synching will not work. I have a laptop which sees the Streak, and allows drag and drop transfers, and a (Dell) desktop that sees the Streak, but not the SD card, and does not communicate.
Your experiences may be good, but mine is not. The cost of buying a new phone is prohibitive, so such suggestions are facile and pointless.
In many ways the Streak is good, but if it will only sync online, it is seriously restricted. My telephone connection is poor, and WiFi is restricted, so I have to stand in the kitchen to get a signal, even though with the other computers they pick the signal up in my normal workplaces.
There is something wrong with this device, no matter how good some things may be, and rejecting criticisms does not lead to improvements.
I find the screen good when I can enlarge, but often this will not work. I guess that one of the issues is age-related - I have a bus pass, and despite reasonable eyesight it is difficult to read names on (eg) Google Maps - they don't grow as the view zooms. That, I imagine, is not unique to Dell.
And, lest there be some presumption about age-related-luddism, I have been using computers since 1981, and had the (to my mind still not truly matched) Psion hand-helds a couple of decades ago. I know what I expect from a hand-held computer, and currently this does not seem to work for me with the Streak.
If one computer (and clearly some on here) does work through USB Storage, I am mystified why the other doesn't.
I have learned over the years to rely on external providers as little as possible. You may be able to link through Google or some other online system for free at present, but the nature of the beast is to introduce charges or even completely abandon the products - I have a museum of once very good and now totally useless bits of jkit.
I bought the Streak to replace my Palm which is very good but old. I don't think it will do the same jobs, so I will probably have two devices side by side, as there are some things which are brill on the Streak.
I have downloaded 3rd-party software that allows me to sync the calendar with Windows calendar, and also software that organises the images in a way that allows me to examine them by alphabetic names rather than the internal gallery system, so I am not as totally frustrated as previously but.......
On the positive side, I have nothing but praise for the advisor at Dell's call centre. If a solution ahd been possible, I am sure he would have found it.

Upvote 0
I am new to the forum and Streak. I may be in the wrong forum but here goes anyway...
I have a brand new unlocked Streak with an AT&T sim card in it, from my old lg vu. All I have is just the contract calling plan. I want to get a no contract unlimited plan to get online, etc., since I now have this beautiful new phone. Which carriers can I use and which are the cheapest and best? AT&T's data plan seems too pricy. Thanx, in advance, for the help...

Upvote 0
The phone is only compatible with At&t and T-Mobile, At&t may automatically add a data plan if they notice it on their network. You can use the device on wifi without any data plan, don't even need a sim card.

I have been using mine on At&t with the 200MB $15 plan for 9 months now, I have never gone over 75M in a month, but MMV when it comes to data. I am on wifi 95% of the time, so my data usage is very low. It might not work for someone that is constantly on a 3G network.

You might also consider the pre-paid carriers, if there are any that are compatible, even At&t might work as they then can't add a data plan.

Upvote 0
Your experiences may be good, but mine is not. The cost of buying a new phone is prohibitive, so such suggestions are facile and pointless.
In many ways the Streak is good, but if it will only sync online, it is seriously restricted. My telephone connection is poor, and WiFi is restricted, so I have to stand in the kitchen to get a signal, even though with the other computers they pick the signal up in my normal workplaces.
There is something wrong with this device, no matter how good some things may be, and rejecting criticisms does not lead to improvements.
I find the screen good when I can enlarge, but often this will not work. I guess that one of the issues is age-related - I have a bus pass, and despite reasonable eyesight it is difficult to read names on (eg) Google Maps - they don't grow as the view zooms. That, I imagine, is not unique to Dell.

I don't know if you still have the Streak but I just noticed, when I was poking around the latest update, an option from a previous update for text size in Google Maps.

Menu->More->Labs->Bigger Text

Google Maps updated to v5.8 - Adds photo uploads, my Places and more | Android Central

Google Maps updated with bubble buttons, Transit Navigation improvements | Android Central

Upvote 0
Rico said: "No room for streak haters in this forum."
Jack58 said: "Your in the minority. Since you don't like it, just get different phone instead of bashing it here"
I have had about 15 hours of phone link to Dell in India and even more with my computer on GoAssist, much not at my cost, only to learn that Dell Sync does not work any more, and will not do so. They are working on a solution, but even then they say that the synching will not work. I have a laptop which sees the Streak, and allows drag and drop transfers, and a (Dell) desktop that sees the Streak, but not the SD card, and does not communicate.

Mjw
And, lest there be some presumption about age-related-luddism, I have been using computers since 1981, and had the (to my mind still not truly matched) Psion hand-helds a couple of decades ago. I know what I expect from a hand-held computer, and currently this does not seem to work for me with the Streak.
If one computer (and clearly some on here) does work through USB Storage, I am mystified why the other doesn't.
I have learned
L years to rely on external providers as little as possible. You may be able to link through Google or some other online system for free at present, but the nature of the beast is to introduce charges or even completely abandon the products - I have a museum of once very good and now totally useless bits of jkit.
I bought the Streak to replace my Palm which is very good but old. I don't think it will do the same jobs, so I will probably have two devices side by side, as there are some things which are brill on the Streak.
I have downloaded 3rd-party software that allows me to sync the calendar with Windows calendar, and also software that organises the images in a way that allows me to examine them by alphabetic names rather than the internal gallery system, so I am not as totally frustrated as previously but.......
On the positive side, I have nothing but praise for the advisor at Dell's call centre. If a solution ahd been possible, I am sure he would have found it.

Mjw if you are still aroumd, wanna say I was kiddn, and all is ok?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones